Crawdad trap

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by ozzfreak, Jun 16, 2006.

1. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    I was thiniking of making a trap, and I like the design of sam's bluegill trap. I made one of these the other day and wondered if i made the holes a little bigger, if it would work for crawdads too. What do yall think? I have used traps that are made for crawdads, but to me they just don't seem to work very well. The place i'm going to be putting this trap has crawdads that are bigger than your hand, they are truly mini lobsters. I caught 27 of them last week with a pole and a hot dog tied to the end of it. Here is a pic of a few that aren't the biggest ones we caught...........

[​IMG]

Anyway, what do yall think? I got the stuff and am itching to make it. :D

2. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It will work fine I use mine to catch crawdads when the creeks around the house are starting to clear after a big rain but are still running pretty good. You can catch them anytime but I will catch more numbers under those conditions. My trap looks a little different but that trap should work fine. I usually bait with raw chicken but I may try the hot dogs your using next time. 777

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I never used a trap for crawdads but i do use raw bacon tied to a piece of string. i know its slower than a trap but hey fishing is fishing and fishing for crawdads is still fishing.:big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes:

5. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I thought about making a Crawdad trap to use around here, but I am now thinking about buying a minnow trap from Walmart for 10 or 15 bucks.

Why wouldn't the minnow trap work?

craigr

6. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I surfed the web a found one guy that said his trap worked the best. I kind of used his design. It's a long tube (12 in. diam.) with funnels at both ends. I like the multiple entries. I made it for about 10 bucks.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just got me a minner trap at the local tackle shop. About to bait it with bread and see what happens.

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Looks good:smile2:

9. FishermanRob

FishermanRob New Member

State:
    ohio
    Trapping crawdads is very simple. I'm 17 and have been trapping them for about 3 years now ( catching big ones to boil and eat and softy to use as cat and bass bait ) All you really is a trap like that bluegil trap. I use 1/2" square fencing ( about $20 for a 25ft roll at lowes ) and make a 10"H x 10"W x 24"L square tube of fence and use the same fence and cut 4 10"x8" section and cut them in a triangle shape the connect them to make a funnel ( make 2 funnels with a 2" to 3" opening ) then connect them to the tube then cut a 4"x4" hole in the bottom of the tube ( at about the center of the trap ) and make a basket to put the bait in just like on the bluegil trap. then at the top of the trap cut an 8"x8" opening ( this is the door you'll empty the trap by ) then cut a 10"x10" section of fire and use zipties or anything u'de like to make a sort of door heng. ( bymake the hole 8" and the door 10" it insure that the crawdads don't push thru and get away ) then use a bungycord and cut it in half, tie a knot in the cut ends of the cord and ziptie them to the trap door and bait basket doo ( tie 1 half of the cord to each door ) then put the hook of the cord in the wire to hold the door closed. Now as far as bait goes, you can catch crawdads of any raw meat but gizard shad and bacon work the best ( any of fish will work well too, carp and bullhead catfish work best if you can't get shad. ) Now placement, put the trap just below a creek/stream/river dam. ( the moving water provide oxygen which is why the crawdads love these areas ) make sure you place the trap is an area with lots of rock or large brush piles ( crawdads live under rocks and other submerged structure ) make sure you've packed the the bait basket full ( BTW the reason for the bait basket is to insure the crawdads can't get the bait from the outside of the trap. if they can then they will eat from the out side and not go in the trap ) after filling the bait basket to its max leave the trap to soke for 3 - 7 days. in an area that the crawdads highly populate u can fill these traps ( roughly 50 - 125 crawdads per trap ) on a 4 - 5 day soke. my traps average 15 - 20 on a 1 -2 soke. and 50+ on 3 and 4 day sokes. my maxium hall ( i keep exact coints from each trap to tally what i catch for the season ) my max hall was 173 dads in 1 trap ( the trap soked for 6 days ) Another opinion is to but a minnow trap from walmart ( about $8 per trap in my area ) but these traps only have a 1" opening so u can take some tensnips and widen this opening ( again, 2 - 3 inches is perfect ) and use the same bait and this produces big numbers as well. There are J shaped wire fasteners sold at tractorsupplie for about $4 for a bag of 200 or so. you'll need these, a pair of tensnips or wirecutters, a pair of needle knose pliers and some small guage steel wire ( the wire that the fencing is bailed with is perfect ) with these materials and tools and a little time to work is all you need to make these traps. each trap, once you get the idea of how they are made ( make 2 or 3 and you'll have it down ) you can make one of these traps in about 15 - 25 minutes. And if you have kids have them help. My 4 year old brother helps me ( he just hands me tools when i ask for them and i sometimes let him cut the wire ) but having them help is a good way for them to learn to build. if you do have them help it will take a little longer because you have to teach them but its a good way to help there building skills and spend a little time with them. ( for a 25ft roll of fencing and the fasteners it cost around 30 - 40 bucks )

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    VERY GOOD POST ,congrads to u for encluding your litlle bro,a good way to help him learn an to spend time together ,way to go young man