Crawdad trap size info?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by robbor, Feb 24, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Im getting ready to make 2 or 3 crawdad traps and have some questions.
    Il be trapping in a small creek.
    What diam should I make the trap? I was thinking 8 in.

Also what diam for the trap entrance? I was going to try wire going to a 1.5" piece of pvc attached to the funnel to prevent any escapes.

Should I only make one entrance and place it down current?

I had also thought about using the wire for the basic cage and then using plastic gatoraide bottles for the ends and funnels, will dads be able to crawl in or should I add a wire ladder?

Thanks guys Im really looking forward to catching some dads!:big_smile:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not to give you a short answer, but you'll probably find the answers to all your questions in the BOC Library. Follow this link...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

The information about bait traps is about 2/3 of the way down the page. You may want to go real slow and just browse the library from the first topic to the last just to get an understanding of what helpful information there is available for your pleasure/education.

3. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Sorry but in the link all I found info to were minnow traps and a square crawdad trap that it looks like dads could escape from. I started making my traps(all are round), I made 1 that is 8" x 24" and then 2 that are 8" x 12(going to be 1 door). I have only made 1 entrance and ramped the wire to a piece of 1.5" ID pcv about 2-2.5" long. So hopefully even if they crawl on the sides of the cage they will have to work out to the end of the pvc and then do a 180 to leave. Im not sure if the 1.5" hole is going to be to small but it does look like a dad will be able to squeeze through. Im about out of wire so im going to keep my eyes open for plastic bottles and try one with a wire ladder. Boy I cant wait to catch some crawdads. I did a quick walk trough of the creek and did not see any crawfish but a few bright red claws from raccoons dining. Im planning on trying to catch some by hand or pole when i go to set the traps out during the week.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Post some pics and directions of how you made your traps.I'm sure others would like to see them also.Good Luck getting them!

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does CA have any regulations as to the size of the entrance? I know MO does. I believe it's 1.5" here. I have seen a professional crawfisher's trap, and they looked like a large purse made of chicken wire. Don't know how to make one. Good luck. Keep us posted as to how it works.

6. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca

Attached Files:

• ebf.jpg
      ebf.jpg
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Nice looking trap Bro:big_smile:

8. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I took the first finished trap out and it did not go to well. I went to the creek at night and there were dads all over. I tosses the trap out and one found the trap and sat in the entrance(green tube for about an hour) without going in.
    By that time I had caught 4 with my pole. I moved the trap to another stop were I saw 5 dads and they never entered it for the whole hour. Well atleast i found out there is some bait there so I will rigs up a small net or 2 for next time. I dont know how much oxygen they need but the 5 i caught are now living in a 55 gallon drum in my backyard, and I tossed in some large red worms out of the compost pile for good measure.

Attached Files:

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would ditch the piece of PVC. I bet the 'dads won't walk on it because it's slick, and they can't get any traction on it.

As long as the ones in the 55 gal drum have a way to breath, they'll be fine. Just put something in there so they can crawl up out of the water once in a while.

10. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I am not going to ditch the pvc just yet. I will get another trap finished and set them both out and see what happens. But after last night I am going to make up 2-3 nets with hoops that are about 6-8" diam and 5' long handles and I can catch a bunch of dads really quick. One time when i checked the trap last night there were 4 dads on or around it but they di not crawl around trying to find the entrance. And before i ditch the pvc I will try leaving it out all night.

I know dads need to breath but have no idea how much air they actually need. It rained last night so I split the water and have 4 barrels now 1/3 to 1/2 full and only 2 dads in each. They seemed fine and I took a 5 gallon bucket and fillid it and dimped it in from up high to oxygenate the water. Im thinking about getting a few bundles of aquarium plants because they add oxygen to the water and I believe the dads will eat off of them. If they work out well for bait I will get a small filter and setup a recuirulating setup for them

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Rob, I've re-read all the posts and did not see where you mentioned what type of bait, if any, you put in the trap. A couple of strips of bacon is about the best crawdad bait you can find. Your right about the crawdads in water... they have to have a way to get out of it and hold on something, otherwise they will drown.
    We throw a couple of handfuls of prairie grass in with our crawdads and they can get on that to take a break.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Raw chicken also works well for bait. I just use my perch trap and instead of crackers or bread throw in some raw chicken.

13. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    :0a28:Bait????
    Just kidding! I put some 2 year old crappie in the trap out of the freezer. I zapped it quick in the microwave and it sure smelled fishy enough, my buddy also has a bucket full of mackeral we use for crab bait. I was really pretty disapointed that the dads werent running into the trap. Today I made up a craw dads net 1' hoop and 6' handle.
    I did not have any bacon but had some terrible hot sausages that I used for bait on my pole, some dads grabbed it but most would not hold on worth nothing. At this spot it looks like the net is going to outfish a trap hands down.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depending upon the width/depth of the creek, you may want to stretch some wire from your trap in an up-stream direction. This would funnel the crawdads and small fish to the trap, maybe increasing your catch. It also may be a little early in the year for the craw fish to be out and moving about.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive got an idea, I think I'll be trying thanks guys

16. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    ok, build your trap 12'' wide, 8'' high,18'' long. Make funnels out of a 12'' by 12 piece, bend as in Sam's perch trap, except make the slots crossways. Cut the 2 ends with a 4'' by 1'' horizontal slot. bait with fresh chicken, place it where there are crawdads and you will catch them.

Jim