Crawdad rake?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by robbor, Feb 28, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    ok guys I saw a few referances to a crawfish rake, anybody got a pic? Id like to hear more.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used a garden rake to pull the leaves and stuff on the bottom of a shallow creek to the bank. Go through the pile and pick the ones you want. You can build a V shaped frame with an opening 10 to 12 inches and about 16 inches deep and the length can be whatever you think you can handle. 1.5 to 3 foot or so. Cover the frame with hardware cloth of the appropriate size.
    Just took the one I have to the farm or I would take a pic for you.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have I think what you are talking about. I will try to post pics tomorrow.
    Its built out of wire. And a long handle. I can drag it in a ditch with water and catch crayfish.
    Makes it easy and at times I can and do get a few dozen per drag with it. Key is to get the water muddy. Then the crayfish come out and then you catch them.
    Pete

4. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I was expecting to see your wiz band crawdad rake.:sad2:

5. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would also like to see a picture of the rake. Been looking for one on the net, but no luck so far. Wish I could weld.LOL.
    Walter

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Couldn't find a picture on the net either. Found a few places you could buy one... may do that just to see what they look like. lOL

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    All you have to do is cut a 1 by 8 or 10 about 18 or so inches long nail it to a 2 by 4 or for a handle then take two small pcs of 1by nail them to the handle and the board for supports as for as the handle it can be as long as you fill comfortable with we used to make them when I was a kid and we would catch buckets of crawfish:smile2:

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'm with Rob & Walter, I'd like to see a picture of a crawdad rake myself!
    Sparky

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you were in that big of a rush. You could have ran out and figured out how to build one your self.
    I have been down in bed. Not able to get out our around. But I did to show that I did mean to post the pictures as soon as I took them.
    But you can bet with replies like this. I will stop being nice. And will keep Stuff to my self from now own.
    Looks like your in such a big rush that its all about you..
    But in the next thread there will be links to the pictures. Even though I still did not have the strength to be out getting them.'
    People need to remember on one on here is doing this for a job. Or for that matter getting payed for it. So when we do get back to a post is at our own time.
    Have a great day and enjoy.
    Pete

10. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What a reply. Did not mean to upset you so.:crazy: Sure hope you are having a better day.
    Walter

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Walter the post was not meant toward anyone but the one that it was Quoted toward.
    He just hit a nerve.
    I have had the flu then this stuff from then until now. I did mean to get it done the next day. But the flu stopped that.
    Pete

12. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Pete--no problem Brother--We all have our off days and the Flu does not help. Hope you are feeling better, its time to go fishing.:big_smile: Walter

13. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    man i don't know if that flu is that bad or if my friend is just diein. he has had it for a month bad. glad i took my flu shot this year. get well pete.

14. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    It was all in fun SR, if I was annoyed with you I would not have bothered replying to you. I was NOT in a hurry nor going to make one just wondering what they looked like, and I actuall built myself 2 crawdad nets on 6' poles the night I made the origional post.

15. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    here in fl. the pine straw is usualy thick in the ditch bottoms so we use a garden rake head with a 1 inch stick of conduit welded on , works purty good , when done picken the bigens, push the straw back in the water so the little ones can grow up an people dont find out where you get your dads at. good luck

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Pete,
    Thanks for the pictures of the Rake. I'm in the process of building one today.
    I hope that flu bug departs you soon. There is fishin to be done!
    Sparky

17. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Ditto, Pete, thanks for posting the pics. I plan on building me one too. I have plenty of rebar and old pipe lying around. By the way, this is the first time I'd ever heard of a crawdad rake.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    WE call them a crayfish drag. And if you have a piece of 8" pipe to mold the rebar around it helps to form it.
    Also works great and easy as can be to use.
    Also small crawfish here around 1" long are bringing $15. per hundred right now as bait for white bass.
    Pete

19. SwampCat

SwampCat New Member

State:
    SouthEast Alabama
    I like that rake,My brother made one similar to that one,but he went a little overboard on it,it was about 40lbs. He threw it away eventuelly.