Crawdad holes!!!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by drpepper, Aug 13, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a small lake... I've got crawdad holes EVERYWERE... I want to get these dang thing for two reasons... 1: they're tearin' up my banks... and 2: for bait!
    I never see 'em and I set one of those square traps from Walmart but I never get them in it.... any help would be MUCHO appreciated thanks!

p.s. WHAT the heck is "artificial lighting" that evidently some folk use to catch crawdads with? DN mentions it in booklet.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey bill we used to fish them out of those chimneys with a piece of string and bacon. it was just kid stuff, i seriously doubt you could curb the population like that. what are you using for bait in the trap? we always use a stepped on perch. if it's not a deep pond you might seine it. every time we catch a bunch of crawdads they end up going in the pot.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jordan, I used cut bluegills and hamburger meat with
    no luck... now that you mentioned that... I Remember doing that as a kid too with a worm on a hook lol

4. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill a friend of mine had the same problem.
    He solved it by takeing a cup of 10-10-10 Fert.
    he poured it in the holes and filled the hole with water. they have stayed away for along time. Get with me and I will show how to catch them in that Black minnow trap

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hmmm Now thats interesting... I check into that, Thanks

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd suggest you look at it real close. Those ugly varmits are selling from $5.00 to $6.00 per dozen. They are scarce around here. You kill them off, you will probably pay for it in the long run. If nothing else, seine the critters and give them to some local fishermen.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ooooh yeah, I know it.... Put one on a hook and cast it out in my lake and it don't last 30 seconds!!! I have blues in there and they tear 'em up like no other bait! I'd way rather figure out how to catch them guys!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Make a crawfish trap from the plans in the library. Bait it out with bacon or other greasy/oily food. It may be a slow process, but I bet you'd have enough to fish with after 3 or 4 days.

9. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    Dr.pepper I have been catching at least 3 dozen a week in my chub trap. I have been putting bread and crackers in the trap. I just use the chubs for bait. I never had any luck with craws unless they were soft. I'm going to try some this weekend though. Maybe me,you,blazerjet,and larry will get togeather soon and I can bring you some.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    come to think of it, we got them out of the holes right by a creek where we used to flip rocks and catch them. when there was a bunch of those chimneys along the bank, we didn't find many in the water. i'm not too sure about their life activities, but maybe there aren't many in the water at this point in time. i don't know, just trying to help!

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use a sien if possible i can catch enough bait to run lines for two days using a sien for about an hour

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey John... Matter of fact, I got the idea to buy the traps from YOU actually LOL.
    Larry was telling me about you using yours, So I when and bought me some.
    Me, Larry(shadgut) Blazerjet an crazyjet1 met up at the river last night... put in at the 10th street area. It's first time I ever fished the river in the downtown Indy area in my life... I know there's Monsters around there... We just didn't find one last night.... we didn't quit trying 'til about 3:30 am~ or something like that... quite a bit different waters then what I'm used to.... We only parked at two different spots 1st was around those islands near a bridge... some reggae Band was jammin' their @ss off in the park, you could feel the vibrations in the boat LMAO!!! I don't guess flatheads like reggae music too much (I don't blame 'em)
    We moved up to the mouth of fall creek but the flatties just wouldn't go for it..... I'll be back, I can get my Tracker in that area. there's some sweet lookin' hole's around there!
    It's only a 30 minute road trip.
    I'd like to get you guys down here sometime SOON also...
    Come down early so we can get some bait and hang out before we hit the river..... Bill

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    These are subterannean crawdads and not the smaller creek variety. These are the type they raise commercially to eat, they can get quite large. Sometimes you can creep around on rainy nights and catch a few but it ain't easy. They can and will drain a pond by tunneling through a dam, I have that situation now. A slurry made with hydrated lime and water poured down the holes will take care of them before they take care of your pond.

14. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive always used alfalpha hay in minnow traps and usually i have caught quite a few! I learned of them eating hay from a fish nursery booklet! GOOD LUCK!!