Crawdad eatin cat.

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by cheapNdisgusting, May 9, 2009.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    My farm is hills and river bottom. In the bottoms the water table is pretty shallow. I noticed one of my cats spends a lot of time down by the little ditch I cut in to let the rain water drain off the lower front yard. Bob would sit there for half an hour or so every day, and I always thought it was scoping out mice or frogs. Everybody has seen those little "chimneys" that crawdads make when they are excavating thier holes. I took a lawn chair down there and sat and watched Bob for a while. She (Bob is a girl cat)(long story) would sit and wait at an active chimney and then pounce on the crawdad as it added to it's chimney. Now, both Bob and Hoppy have plenty to eat from me. There is a feeder that holds 20 lbs. of dry food, and table scraps when I get to it. Haven't had a mouse in the house since they have been there, but it seems her favorite foods are pickle loaf, Blue jays, and crawdads. I just never saw a cat HUNT crawdads before.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cats are amazing critters Russ. Over the years of seeing thousands of them I never cease to be amazed at their personalities.

Have been around many farm cats. Haven't seen crawdad killers in that time. I have seen the Fishers (waiting to grab a minnow), the Reptilians, (snake hunters), the Rabbiters (gotta have a rabbit before a mouse), the Genuine Killers from Hell. Will catch, play with and kill anything. I like them.

The only ones I dislike are the feral cats. I hope the horned owls or my 22 gets them all. Destructive, destructive. Like poachers on a Friday night. Nothing is safe from them, and they carry their "spotlights" between their eyes and don't need batteries.

Cats kinda remind me of women Russ. You can pet them only when they are in the mood. And they will kill and eat you just like a mouse if in the mood.

3. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Both of these cats are "used" cats. When the lady over the hill got put in a nursing home a couple years ago, I inherited a half grown cat (bob), a 3 legged cat (hoppy). 2 domestic rabbits, and a guinie. The guinie was only around for 2 days and the rabbits lasted a couple weeks. I never could get close to the rabbits but they would eat the food. Coyotes do what coyotes do. Hoppy lives in the garage and Bob moved right in with me, when she feels like it. Both are good cats.