Crawdad Boil

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey looking for a recipe to make crawdad boil. I love crawdads and shrimp done up in it, and the boil I use is store bought and sometimes, I cant get it.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Good luck. I have never seen a recipe for the boil myself, just always bought some at the store.

I don't remember the name of it but we used to always get ours in a gallon jug instead of the powdered kind. The liquid kind in the jug was much better. We used to get ours at Wal Mart here.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have boiled shrimp, straight from the trawl, in seawater, and they weren't bad at all. I've also boiled 'em in beer, and that's pretty danged good.

But that's not what you're after, so try this: celery, onions, lemons, peppercorns, and a handful of sea salt. You can boil your corn in this first, and then do the shrimp and/or mudbugs.

They've got mudbugs in Iraq????

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hmmm... don't know?? I always use Zataran's boil and oil. I can mail ya some if ya need it. No problem. Let me know.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah we buy ours to. My friend who is from La. makes his own, but he would never give me the recipe, said it was in his family for years.....I will eventually find one....

6. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
  7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Crawfish Boil Recipe

Crawfish Boil Ingredients:
    2 tb Coriander seeds 1/4 c Cider vinegar
    2 tb Cumin seeds 2 Whole Lemons
    2 tb Mustard seeds 4 tb Cayenne pepper
    2 tb Dill seeds 1 sm Onion; spiked with
    3 Bay leaves 10 Whole cloves
    6 qt Water 3 Celery ribs
    1/4 c Kosher salt 5 lb Fresh live Louisiana
    3 tb Freshly-ground black pepper

Instructions for Crawfish Boil:
    Combine the spice seeds and bay leaves in a piece of cheesecloth and tie to form sachet. In a large pot combine water, salt, pepper, vinegar, lemons, cayenne, onion, celery and spice sachet and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil for 20 minutes. Add crawfish and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and serve with hot sauce. This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings. Comments: Boil may be cooled, refrigerated, and reused once.

There's also one that includes corn on the cob and potatoes, but it looks more like a gumbo or a bouillabaisse to me than a simple crawfish/crab boil.

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    will have to give it a try thanks.