craw daddys

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by boedict, Jun 19, 2009.

1. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    While at the river lastnight we put a craw dad trap out to see what would happen.Put it in shallow water with some old fish from the freezer.Went and done some fishing and when we was done we pulled the trap.Crazy we had about 80 in one trap.Where are they all comming from? Took them home put them in some fresh water,and today they are going to meet the old turkey pot.Should make for a good lunch.I took some pics cause ive just never seen them in the river like this before.:confused2::confused2:

Attached Files:

2. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Now that's exciting. More details please. What type area? Around the grass? Current? Depth? Hook a brother up man.:wink:

3. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Mudfish I had the trap on a muddy bottom in the cove to the left of the landing.About 2' foot of water.Not alot of current and about 2' off the weedy bank with the entry hole toward the big water not toward the bank (dont know if it matters) Trap wise I took a live box trap put 1/4 mesh wire on it wired the door up so there was 1" gap in it.Turn it upside down so the door is a ramp.when they walk up the ramp and through the 1" gap they go 2 the bottom of the trap for the bait,and they wont swim up high enough to get back out the gap.The box trap I got is 1'x1' and 2' long.Also on the bait thing I did take fishmeal mixed with flour and water to make dough balls(just like shrimping but didnt have any clay so I used flour)I think this was the key to attract them to the trap then they went to the dead fish.HOPE this helps and im going to keep messing with it if I find some new info Ill pass it on.

4. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    With all those caught in a night that may explain why those fish you cleaned were full of crawfish..easy meal for the catfish!!!

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Troy that's prety exciting! The bait shop near my house sells them, maybe you could sell them too! I have cleaned cats, motly channel with a gut full of crayfish. Very nice!!:wink:

6. BigTex

BigTex New Member

State:
    SC
    If I had'em, I dont know if the fish would get a chance to eat them, man I love them tails. When I lived in Texas you could buy them everywhere, havent ate any since I moved to SC

7. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    UmUmGood!!!:big_smile:

8. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Big Tex,I'n not sure where you are located at,but theres a fella in Lancaster SC that raises and sells em.PM me if you want his ### and location

9. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I live in Lancaster, SC and interested in this info. I can't send you a PM yet because I haven't posted 10 times. Can you send a PM to me about this.

Thank You

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Man theres a ton of them in the river over here.You can throw a cast net and pull a 100 or so in a one time.I tried to eat them once but did'nt like them to much but it was a china town restraunt.