Crapy crappie...

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by C_wernett, Mar 6, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is something that's sort of a pet peave of mine when it comes to crappies, is the people that insist on calling them crapies. Now, notice the difference in spelling of the two words...lol...Crapies would insist that if you only catch one, it would be catchin' a crap? And something that is crapy generally isn't something one would prefer to do, so why give such a wonderful to catch, and eat, fish such a horrible misnomer? It's crappie(cr-ah-pee) in my book...what about yours? ...and better yet...Why???:cool: :confused:

2. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Yeah i agree with that
    we call the little one crapy cause they cant pull the bobber down so so then they swallow the bait and it makes us mad.:mad:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree man, it is just so stupid in my opinion!!!

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Around here they are crop-EEE. A single fish is a crop-EEE and a whole bunch are crop-EEE. There ain't no "S" in it.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Back in '61, when I first went into the Army and got to mix with a bunch of guys from different geographical locations, I almost got in a fight with a kid from South Carolina on how that fishes name is pronounced. Now that I am older and have more sense, it don't make any difference. Heck, they are even call papermouth bass and no one gets in an uproar. crapie, crappie... it just don't matter. AwShucks, come to think of it, it probably does. So, you guys from different parts of the country figure out where your gonna meet to resolve this issue. Let me know, please and I'll be far, far away.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I must say Grumpy...you caught me in a slip! I don't say "crappies" either, but I sure as heck typed it didn't I! See, some of the other nicknames given to the fish I can understand. Papermouth bass, yeah...ok...they've got very thin mouth lining and are in the sunfish family, just like a bass(black bass that is...white bass and stripers fall into a different category), which mean that they share some very common characteristics.

7. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like to call em SUPPER.lol

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    How about Sac-au-lait,that way there would be no confusion or argument:what-big: :grin-big:

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Not wantiing to start anything here but this is from the dictionary.
    "craw-pea" Thats what the books says.
    Bill:)

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Nobody ever carches a bunch of basses, or a mess of catfishes, so lets keep it at crappie, or white perch, or what ever you want to call em they all eat good.

11. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i say there name represents how they fight, crappy

12. SMP_Angler

SMP_Angler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wouldn't call them crappy because they are small...i would call them crappy because they just stink, they are usesless, and well, crappy.

13. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I have to disagree that crappie are crapy...obviously it seems you have never tried a plate of crappie fillets. The meat is not at all fishy tasting
    and is far better than any bass swimming. Their fighting ability pound
    for pound is unsurpassed, but if you use a six and a half cat rig, of coarse
    there isn't much action. Try an ultra light rod and 4 lb test line...then tell
    me they the can't fight. My friends and I spring fish for crappie, saving the fillets until frog season is in...after a couple nights of frogging...we
    thaw the fillets fry them up and saute the fresh legs in butter...fresh cut tomato on the side...corn on the cob and a few spuds...it just doesn't
    any better than that.

14. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    They are known as "croppie" around here. I can remember the first time I read about them in a book and saw it was spelled crappie and had to ask (even though I had been catchin them for quite a while) what a "crappie" was. Then of coures the rest of the questions followed like "why do they spell it like that! :p

15. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    They are one of the best fighting fish to catch in fresh water. I think a lot of people think they are crappy is because they can't catch em. I have a lot of respect for em cause they can be hard to finde, and catch, but when you do get on em man you are on em. Lets eat!

16. SMP_Angler

SMP_Angler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It does taste better than bass, but I dont normally keep bass because it is hard for me to kill such an amazing creature. But, I do use ultralight rigs, the same ones that i use for trout. I can tell you that trout are better fighters pound for pound, maybe bass too. I guess i'll tell you that they can't fight because if they do, their mouths just rip right off.

17. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    My wife calls them crappy and it drives me nuts. Every time I tell her croppie, It just do'nt do any good she still says crappy. I think she does it cause she knows it gets to me.

18. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Try going fishin with a guy that calls em crappie, and a guy thta calls em white perch, it's fun to make fun of one another.

19. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Don't they all ;)

It's mostly "crop-pee" around here.

20. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I jes had to throw in my two cents (took all week to save it and now it's gone)
    I have caught a pile of Specks (speckled perch) in Fla.:)
    I don't allow nothin crappy in my boat! unless its the stupid B@$$ 6+ lbs that grabbed my shad while fishin for stripers in lk marion in Feb.
    what a waste of bait! I hate those stupid things, not worth pullin in, rather catch a mudfish, least they fight.
    the thing never even jumped, oh well the 9lb channel I caught last week jumped twice(ha):cool: