Crappies On Spoons

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by TX Catman, Dec 21, 2006.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was on Richland chambers by the dam, and I was fishing with two of my buds. Now we didn't have any luck with crappie lures and we only had 5 minutes till we had to go back. So we tried to catch some bass with these big deep water spoons. And in those 5 minutes we caught 2 of the biggest crappies I have ever seen. Is it unusuall to catch Crappies on big spoons? :confused2:

2. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've never done, but obviously it doable since you did it :lol:

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a friend that swears by spoons but he uses small ones. "The bigger the hook the bigger the fish".
    Bill

4. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I was fishing Tablerock yesterday and I was fishing for crappie with SMALL spoons, they are very effective sometimes when it seems nothing else works which it seems was yesterday, I did catch a 15" fish but mostly small bass, I could see them on TV suspened but wouldn't bite very well.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Small KASTMASTERs or HOPKINS LURES are very effective.The Kastmaster has an irresistable fluttering action when free lined.I use 1/4 and 1/8 oz versions.:smile2:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have caught crappie on small spoons approx. 1 1/2 " long . They are silver spoons with a hammered pattern on them. Don't remember the name of them. Use to be able to buy them at Rogers in Liberty.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I agree with the kastmasters. I have caught some nice crappie on those while trolling for trout. They have the action just like a minnow and lots of fish can not resist that.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Blue, I just got a new lure that I thought would be "killer" on white bass and Crappie... what you think? I cant wait to try it out... Mackeral might even jump on it.

bayrunner ray

9. jayrbee

jayrbee New Member

State:
    Winter Haven,fl
    what depth are you catching "specks" with spoons?

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught lots of crappie on Kastmasters, Little Cleo's, and Little George's.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    It should if you are coming across a school one should nail it. I am sure a mack will hit it. Put it to the test at one of the good crappies lakes like El Capt, Henshaw, and Otay. As soon as Spring comes through I am on them.

12. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Here large Crappie can be very aggressive certain times of the year. We find them eating 3 to 4 inch shad at times. Lots of folks troll bass crankbaits (bandits, rattle traps, hot spots ,and ect.) for crappies. We even catch a few on large spinnerbaits while bass fishing. I figure at the right time they would strike almost anything resembling bait fish.:big_smile:

13. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what presentation do you use for spoons on those crappie and bass? jigging, casing, trolling? thanks.

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I like to use Slab Spoons, they will catch about any thing that swims. Heres a couple of types, these are 5/8 ounce. They make several different weights.
    You can cast them, vertical jig or troll them, really no wrong way to fish them but I like to vertical fish and troll with them the most.

Attached Files:

15. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Troy,
    Thanks for the pictures now all I have to do is print them out and go find them.