crappie

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Slick Skin, May 9, 2008.

1. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    been catching crappie the last couple of day's..[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nice look mess O crappie! Congrats, yea they seem to be doing ok right now :wink: Mother Nature sure is trying to shut them down tho.... Gonna go get another mess my self tomorrow :big_smile:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hey Rex, where abouts you fish the Embarrass, if you don't mind me asking? N or S

4. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    north of the dam for crappie..... south for catfish....

5. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Nice catch Rex, I can already hear the grease popping.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :wink: :big_smile: How high is she running right now? been a bit since i was over that direction, and that was just to cross over and hide in the grass for Mr. Longbeard.

Fish much around Fox Ridge?

7. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I live 3 mile's north of fox ridge. don't fish it much ,you have to make a appointment and get a date to go fish it...it's more of a bio -fish- study lake..they did re do the dam this year so they will quit loosing all the fish everytime the water get's up...

8. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Rex nice catch that got the taste buds salivating again.:eek:oooh:

9. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    had crappie for supper tonight...man they were good..raining here again...

10. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    man....i would love to get into crappie fishing....i am an avid catfisherman...and i love trout and bass....but i LOVE crappie...but i have no idea how to rig for em....what to use....nothing!!!! the only times i've caught crappie...it's been on spinner baits fishing for bass!!! lol......but i sure do like to eat em!!! maybe one day i'll figure it all out

11. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Right now's a good time to learn:wink: crappie right now are active .go to your local pond ,river ,lake where there is relitivly clear water ..fish a minnow under a cork around 2 foot deep near brush and or structure..if there's crappie there they will bite..They are right ready to spawn and will grab anything that come's by....

12. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    nice Looking bunch of fish...Thanks for sharing the pictures

13. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Nice mess o papermouths. I caught a nice mess last Sunday and had Crappie for dinner twice this last week. Life is good:wink:

14. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Man you can't beat them crappie for eating..I'm lucky my loving woman like's to eat them as much as I do so she dosen't have any problem's cooking them....

15. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I am blessed with the same situation with my wife. Supportive of my fishin' and loves to cook and eat whatever I bring home. She even cooks and eats the venison and waterfowl I bring home. Like I said, Life is Good!!!!!!!

16. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    it's rainning here this morning .I'm considering go crappie fishing ...I'm sure not pouring concrete today....:roll_eyes:

17. raiderfan

raiderfan New Member

State:
    IL
    nice mess of fish

18. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    thank's ...have not been crappie fishing in a week or so ...the water muddied up..

19. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went to my buddy's place for dinner Sunday night and decided to do a little fishing after dinner. 45 minutes later we had 10 crappie and 2 bass. They were almost all taken on orange headed beetle spinners with chartrues tails. One was caught on a fly rod. We are trying to clean out the pond a little so everything was kept for the fall fish fry. Smallest was around 8" and largest was around 11 1/2". As soon as I find my card reader I will get the pictures downloaded and put on here. My daughters had a good time reeling a few in for me, so they got their pictures taken with them.

20. Bigen

Bigen New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught my fair share of crappie. Here's how I go about it. Find any dead trees or brush in the shallows 14 feet or so. Get you some small jig heads and some a wide variety of colors of tube jigs. I ussually dont use a bobber unless I am fishing from shore but you need to make sure that when you tie your jig head on you make sure that it is hanging parrellel with the water so that the eye of the jig head is facing up. Try different depths when hanging your jig and I know its called a jig but don't move it up and down. If you dont get any strikes move it left or right but I never jig it. Another thing I do is us a bobber and throw out and jurk it back. I generally jerk it twice and let is sit for about 3 to seconds and again make sure it is hanging right. Crappie generaly do not slam it so a nice ultra light 10 or 12 footer works very well. I also put a split shot about a foot above the jig incase I get snaged I can use the weight of the split shot to reverse the snag and thats where a long pole comes in handy. Try switching colors and depths if you dont have any luck but if you can find structure in the water you will do pretty good. Crab orchard will give you a map of where all of the christmas trees have been dumped. Good luck.