Crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 20, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :0a23: Do crappie bite in the late or early winter and fall?:confused2: Thank you for your post!

2. catboy210

catboy210 New Member

State:
    texas
    early is best for me

3. Bait Eater

Bait Eater New Member

State:
    southwest missouri
    The fall and winter is some of the best crappie fishing of the year. My dad always said you catch more fish in the spring but bigger fish in the fall, and I think that is true. It has been great starting about the first of Oct and will be till the lake iced in.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Catch em all winter. Last year was real good with the mild winter we had. Usually catch more of the larger ones in the winter.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    During the spring (spawn) I get more fish but not as big as I am getting now. I have not caught alot this fall but the size is there. I am fishing one foot off bottom around brush and stumps. Red and white jig with nibbles enjected it to the jig.
    Bill

6. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have the best luck in the winter. (luck meaning pure skill.)

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have caught some really good Crappies right after the thaw.

8. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Winter is the best time because crappie are movin a lot in the summer it just dont work:0a17:

9. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey man i hope this helps you out
    :tounge_out:

10. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in NW Oklahma we have been catching them for the last 3 months. Right now were are fishing thru the ice around brush piles in the local lake and I have put close to 250 of them in the freezer so far. Winter is a great time to fish to fish for them.

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, where at, I want some!!!

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I went to a local lake yesterday (a bigger one at 10,000 acres) and caught quite a few. I was fishing ice jigs tipped with little minnows. I tried wax worms too but mainly got gills, the crappie were enjoying the minnows. the air outside is cold at around 15 and i'm not sure about the water but they are still biting! didn't catch any monsters but it was just nice to get out and temporily fix that fishing itch and get rid of the cabin fever.

I was fishing off a dock where the creek channel cuts real close to the bank. it goes from 8 feet to 22 and they are stacked along it and along the bottom.

13. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    They will school up tight this time of year in about 40 to 60 feet around brush