Crappie Time and Stripers

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by tdpasser, Jan 17, 2009.

1. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Has anybody fished for the slabs in AZ yet? If so how have you done and where. Info appreciated.

Has anybody caught any good Stripers lately Pleasent, Rosey, Mohave?

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Terry, in fact I met up with Lonny [hillbilly] on Friday to try our hand at catching some crappie and fishing for flats for a while at sunset. With the boats on the water at the tonto end of Roosevelt we thought we would hook up with the crappie, no luck .Tried to locate some bluegill to no avail. We fished til about dark. With no cut bait we called it quits at dark. We are going to give another shot end of this week hopefully. Beautiful day on the water

3. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Boy do I miss some fried slab. I've been here in AZ since August and haven't done much of any fishing, trying to locate a power pack for my motor. Boy but when i do stand back, I'm foaming at the mouth. What do you guys use when fishing for crappie?

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Lake Pleasant should be good... I am planning a trip at the end of the month.. The new Moon should make it dark enough for the float light to attract the fish..

** Usually a deep chovie for the larger stripers, mid way down with a minnow for whites, strippers, and crappie...

* Heard that the Agua fria arm is the best bet.. Although I would go to castle creek as well..

~A

5. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Terry,
    Mohave always has the potential to put out a striper over 40lbs,any day of the week.Follow the trout plants,the big stripers do.Ill be there for 4 days next month hunting for mongo linesides.Here is a 30 I got out of the kayak 5 years ago.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/100_1409.jpg?t=1232561553

And here is a 30 I pulled from my boat last april.Both fish were caught from the same spot on the same bait.9" stocker trout swimbait.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/100_1910.jpg?t=1232561705

(http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/ProductImages/STSB-TRT.JPG)

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Billy do you ever use the AC Plugs you know the ones hand made by Alan Cole? Ive done real good launching out of cottonwood cove on the Nevada side. We catch a decent amount of stripers trolling chovie and I did buy into the AC Plug but no takers yet. I do have the big swim baits too. I think Alan has trophies on the wall at the baitshop there in the 50s and 60s. It is such a good deal to stay there and the food at the cafe is great too. thanks for the info. td

7. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Terry,
    Yeah,I have fished out of cottonwood many times.But I seem to do better up north around willow beach.This next trip Ill be consitrationg on aztec wash/placer cove areas.They stopped planting at cottonwood this year.
    I have used the ac plugs,and caught fish with them.But I seem to have more confidence in other swimbaits/plugs.

8. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow Billy, those are some impressive stripers to say the least!! Enjoy some drag rippin on those beauties or what?? Nice job!! I officially have the fever!!