crappie starting to turn on

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by jbird711, Sep 12, 2005.

1. jbird711

jbird711 New Member

State:
    ohio
    went out last night to a local lake here in ohio caught 38 keepers inbetween 11 & 14 in. caught a few short fish but not many was surprised usually get more short fish.was fishing a point that comes out 16ft. water.water around point is 30 to 40 ft. was hitting fish at 15 ft. going back out middle week try to get a bunch more have a fish fry this weekend.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sounds good to me. Anything that bites is fun to catch!!!

3. Vols-Cat

Vols-Cat New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Were they hitting on jigs or minnows?

I have been waiting on cooler weather just for this to happen! Come on cooler water and cooler air!

4. jbird711

jbird711 New Member

State:
    ohio
    one pole id drop to bottom bring up about 12 to 18in. let set.the other id drop to bottom an verticle jig off bottom. 1/16 jig head tipped with minnow.

5. jbird711

jbird711 New Member

State:
    ohio
    forgot to add i was fishing from boat.

6. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    Wowsers!! I can't wait to come to Ohio and get on those big crappie. I like to use half minnows and jig off the bottom. Really drives those fish crazy.

7. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I am going for crappie this coming weekend. Don't get me wrong.... I love my catfish. But I really get into crappie fishing. Nothing like catching 50 fish in one day.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Now THAT is a fish fry waiting to happen.

Going this weekend lookin for some crappie and cats

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I love to crappie fish but have not found them in the area that I fish. :confused:

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
  11. Bank Catter

Bank Catter New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Any of you guys ever use crappie for cut bait? If so, how does it compare to shad?

Thanks!

12. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I use crappie as whole live bait. I have used it for cut bait too. It did good. I would prefer shad or any of the perch family.
    Crappie are so darn tasty that I have a hard time putting one on a hook.
    Where i'm going tommorrow has no size limit and 37 is the poss. limit. I hope to limit out on 1 lb'ers. With this cool snap we have had in Oklahoma it may be perfect.

13. crazy_crappie88

crazy_crappie88 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    Yea I went 2day and caught about 15 slabs, it was my first crappie outing this year.Good fishing to all.

14. bamaboy24

bamaboy24 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    me and my cousin went fishing again today caught about 22 anywhere from half pound to one pound crappie we are realy happy crappie season is started here in alabama. Good luck to all

15. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I went about a week ago and caught 10 good ones in a couple of hours. I've been back twice since then and could only catch 3 or 4. There's been a couple of cold fronts come through though.

16. bamaboy24

bamaboy24 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    me and my cousin went fishing yesterday and we caught 88 crappie and all of them were good size. But the lake we fished in was catch and release only so we didnt get to eat any. Still alot of fun.

17. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Would y'all share some of your techniques for crappie fishing? Are you using live bait or jigs? Deep water or shallow? Trolling or jigging? What do you look for before starting to fish a certain area?

18. bamaboy24

bamaboy24 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    first of all when i am crappie fishing i use everything lightweight rod, reel, line, and even the bait. I guess whe were about 7 to 8 feet deep. Using any jig that is chartruse. We would throw it out from the bank about 15 to 20 feet and just reel it in realy slow. We try to find any spot that is at least 10 feet out with weeds and rocks or any kind of structure.

19. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Joe, say the word and we can meet at Grenada lake. Fish the morning away. Bring your boat and lady, and I'll bring mine. Be ready to do some trolling. Fish the standing timbers with jigs or minnows, or run across open water.