Crappie Spawning in Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Rajun_Cajun, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    does anyone know if the crappie has started spawning anywhere. if you know i would love to know.
    :dribble:

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Yes, the males have been up for almost a week.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey Charlie, can you direct me to some good bank fishing crappie spots on Clinton?

4. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    who cares about the crappie go for them big cats son!

5. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Keith, try the marina cove. Or if you like to catch white bass as well as crappie, fish on the dam, pretty close to right in the middle of it.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey there Jorge, crappie is better eatin than cats in my opinion, plus there is 4-5 weeks of the spring thats called the crappie spawn , when my catfishing ceases for a while so I can get some crappie filets. Plus , your from Ohio, and your name aint Charlie. So thanks for the advice , but no thanks, SON. :choler:

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Keith, Eric is right on the money. The males are on the dam as we speak, it's hard to beat a white roostertail for both crappie and whites(be careful, the wipers are at and under 18" and the limit is 2). The pocket cove below Henry's lake in the Marina cove is also a hot spot. If there is a strong wind blowing in there, throw some white twistertails.........the wiper stack there in a wind!! The parking lots rocks at the last State Park ramp in also good for the early spawn. There are several raods that end in the lake, most all of these have shallow timbered area's nearby..............a long jigging pole and old sneakers will get you into fish.

Most my good area's are boat in only, so you got the best I can give:)

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thanks Charlie. I might head out there tomorrow. :)

9. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    also keith, i know i shouldnt be sayin this because its kinda secret lol, but your one of my brothers. try a place out at clinton called "rock creek". my dad said he wants to take me out there really bad because the crappie spawn in that place every year, and he says you can pull 15" crappie out of there!!! i think you should give it a try since you probably gonna be there all day. :004:

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    No 15" crappie for me this year on Rock Creek, but both male a females are on timber in the creek proper. Out toward the mouth, only males were up but that could have changed since Sunday. All that said, Rock Creek sucks for shore fishing. Other than the east side of the bridge it is pretty inaccessible if your carrying much gear.

Has anyone ever tried for crappie on Olathe lake...........on purpose??

11. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well charlie. to tell you the truth i dont think there are crappie that big, (if there are any), cause on the fishing reports, it always says there less than 7". so i dont think olathe lake is that good for crappie unless your going to be using them as bait. sorry buddy.
    :too_sad:

12. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    also, charlie i got my first turkey of youth season about 2 weeks ago, cause i know we were talking about it earlier, but i never got around to telling you. but this coming thursday i will be scanning some pics of it on here for you guys to see. he weighed 22lb's
    :big_smile_2:

13. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have crappie fished Hillsdale Lake before and always have had excellent luck, found a nice place with submerged timber, drop lines with minnows.

chris

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats on the turkey, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

The early spawn reports are usually the smaller males(the first ones to the bank). Alway remenber, the male guards the nest. You keep all of them and you lose their spawn. A spawned out female makes the best sense for keeping.

15. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    the thing is charlie everytime i look at the fishing report, it says the exact same thing over and over and over.
    :too_sad:

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Rajun , I wouldnt count on that fishing report to be completely reliable. I would just use it as a guide line. From what the old timers tell me about Olathe Lake, the crappie in the lake are way overpopulated, therefore there are alot of stunted/small fish. Ive only seen a few 10"+ crappie out there. If you want crappie, go to Hillsdale,Perry,Clinton, or Wyandotte. :)

17. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    im gonna have to agree with you on that one keith
    :big_smile_2:

18. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Man, I'm hoping to get out to clinton one day this week, I've been moving for the past three days, and tonight I just didn't have the energy. I'm going to go CRAZY!!!! if I dont fish soon!!

19. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    I took off from work early today, spent a couple hours working on the boat, now I'm going to head out to Clinton dam and see if I can do any good on the crappie.

20. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    awsome, good luck!
    :haha: