Crappie scraps

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by goingfishin, Dec 17, 2007.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I was cleaning a bunch of crappie the other day and realized how much of the fish goes to waist. I was thinking that maybe I could instead of throughing away everything but the falay, I could grined the rest of it up and frezze it. Here in Kansas it is hard to find shad in ealry spring so I could used the ground up crappie as early spring bait. Ball it up and throw it into some panty hose, hook it and let it fly. Tell me what you guys think.:eek:oooh:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Seems like it would work, but some states (like Arkansas) have laws prohibiting the use of any part of a game fish for chum or bait.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    True if it is ok to use as jtrew stated, may even keep some of the heads intact and grind the rest for chum? I use all my fish waste in the garden tho......

4. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I know in Kansas you cannot use crappie as bait, but instead of waisting the left overs if they are a true CONSERVATION officer they should not have a problem with it. At least thats my thoughts on the matter.

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Like everyone else says call and find out. It might save you from getting a fine.

6. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thats good advise I will call tomorow to find out.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    My dad cleans a lot of fish (dude, the only thing I haven't seen him clean and eat is a gar, and that's just because he's too lazy to skin em:wink:) and I suggested he throw all his fish refuse in a 5 gal bucket and freeze it and then when the bucket is full use the big fishicle for a chum block. You could also use it for bait for your crawdad trap, suspend it in mesh from a tree branch over the water so the maggots drop off of it into the water and attract crappie (for food) or bluegill (for bait). Leave it to a bunch of catfishermen to turn fish guts into a valued resource:smile2: But to everyone elses point, a buddy of mine paid $150 each for 2 5" bass he was going to use for live bait. He honestly thought if they were "little they didn't count" (his quote to the conservation officer as he was writing the citation). He didn't tell me the story till later or I could have saved him the money, he just honestly didn't realize it was illegal. Good Luck!

Branden

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I am not for doing anything that is against the law. But if it is ground up how is anyone going to be able to tell it is Crappie or whatever it is for that matter? :confused2:

9. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is what I was thinking as well...if it is ground up and used in a ball how could they know what it is?

10. olecoon

olecoon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in the Indian Nations (eastern Oklahoma) I save the ribcages after filleting my crappie. Used fresh they are an outstanding trotline or jugline bait. Just run the hook between the ribs a single time so that the point is well exposed. I have caught flatheads on fresh ribcages as well as blues and channel cats. They are not quite as effective after being frozen and thawed but still worth trying. I asked a game warden if using the ribcages was legal and he gave me the OK. Not true for small live crappie though.

Good fishing!!! Leave the real big'uns for seed. Olecoon