crappie rod

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by wishiwasfishin, Mar 21, 2008.

1. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i was at walmart the other day and seen some crappie rods that looked to be 10 to 12 feet and had a small real on them. i was wondering if anybody on here used one. i'm thinking of getting one. instead of casting i could just lower the bait right down to them.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    never used one but they probably work good. i fish tree tops directly under the boat with twister tail jigs. the longer rods will help you get the jigs back without spooking the fish off! i reel rite down to the jig and pop it off with the rod tip.

3. cods

cods New Member

State:
    Texas
    They are good for shallow water.

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i've never bought the ones out of walmart. but i use an old 10ft fly rod with a small spinning reel. works good on crapie and blue gill.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use them there pretty good rods

6. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    The longer the pole the less one has to make effort to hook the fish. If you ever have used an ultra light rig with a 4 and half foot pole youll see the difference. The longer poles make it possible to cast against the wind with 1/32 oz jigs with 6lb or smaller line. I suggest you get one you'll wish you had tried them much sooner.

7. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use 2 10 foot 2 8foot and 4 6 foot as i troll if i fish a jig on brush use a 8 foot the 10 work good close to the bank at times had 12 foot one but lost it in the lake my boat is not large enough to have them on there bobs bait

8. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i have two ten footers from bass pro (wally marshals) i started using long rods for crappie about ten years ago and very seldom use anything else. casting distance is great but being able to use a jig and cork and fish ten ,12 foot deep is the thing i like best. im guessing you try one and you will be "hooked"

9. pfoster

pfoster New Member

State:
    kansas
    the long rods are great. walmart has great combos for the price. i still fish with combos i bought at walmart 13 years ago.

10. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just got a 12 foot rod this year for crappie fishing and I love it. I fish from the banks and it is great for dropping that jig or minnow right into the hot spots and I am not getting hung up near as much! I would highly recommend getting one!!!