Crappie remains as catfish bait in Mississippi - Going to try something?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by missed mallards, Mar 8, 2007.

1. missed mallards

missed mallards New Member

State:
    Leland, MS
    It's been a while since i've posted over here. From the looks of things ya'll seem to be holding your own with Mr. Whiskers.

I do have a question i would like ya'lls input on though. Next week "hopefully" me and some buddies are going to head up to the northern part of the state to chase some birds and fish. we are mainly going for crappie, we like to eat them, so that's on the agenda. Since we will be burning the candle at both ends I brought up a little Catfishing. Something we haven't done in a while. Being i have no fresh bait I was thinking of using the crappie remains for Catfish bait. Yeah crazy idea but do ya'll think it will work? When your broke and on a tight budget, you have to think outside the walls.

Well if ya'll have any input i would love to here it. I guess i'm going to need to visit this site a little more. Seems as though i've missed out on some good times with some of the gatherings ya'll have had.

Tom H

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Crappie guts/heads should work real good. Just check your game laws to see if you can use game fish as bait. Some states allow it, some don't. AND if the state does allow it, your still restricted to possession limits.

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    using crappie for bait is legal in MS, as long as you catch it and not buy it,,the guts and heads should work good and try the tails too,,,good luck

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Have had good luck using crappie guts. Going to try some heads for drift fishing this year.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We used to go to Weiss Lake in Alabama when I was a kid crappie fishing. I always saw these pics at the fish camp we stayed in of the big cats but my dad doesn't catfish so me and a friend always ended up sitting on bank trying nightcrawlers (caught a small channels here and there) well one night the old man that owned the fish camp, kinda a grumpy old guy, came down and sat with us for a while. We visited with him and he told us to go to the cleaning station and get crappie guts and then go to his pontoon on the dock and fish straight off the back of it. He dumped all the crappie guts off of it for years. Well we did and WOW! one of the most fun nights of catfishing i've ever had. I had a monster hooked but I had a bass pole and couldn't get him in. but we caught channels and flatheads on those guts.

6. missed mallards

missed mallards New Member

State:
    Leland, MS
    Thanks for the replies. I hope it works for me.