Crappie recipe

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Denny H, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You won't believe this one. I meet someone the other day talking about fixing crappie to taste like shrimp. I was a little skeptical about doing this but I tried it and it is the closest thing to shrimp.
    After you fillet them out I cut mine into around 2 inch chuncks.
    Next you get two bowls fill one with dry pancake mix and the other with 7 UP and he said only 7 up.
    Now put the fillets in the dry mix and then into the 7 UP and Back into the dry mix and begin frying them on the stove in what ever oil you like.
    I used peanut oil and turned out well. Serve with cocktail suace and you can fool your friends...

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't believe I would mess with anything that already taste that good. Maybe it's just me but I think they are near perfect just rolled in corn meal and deep fryed.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    pretty tough to beat crappie and bluegill...especially after a long winter with an empty freezer! :smile2:

4. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would have to agree dont waste the taste jsut use a good ol beer batter

5. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Trust me, I've had fresh fish all winter. I work at a Power Plant with a warm water arm and have unrestricted access to the best spots, it was time to try something different. I would try it again, as my wife likes shrimp and it gave me another good excuse to go fishing.

6. xjames

xjames New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well that does sound interesting. I really like crappie rolled in cornmeal and off the grill, so I guess I could give it a try. I'll try darn near anything once.

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll sure try it... thanks, Denny!

I've been ready for some new recipes
    and this sounds like a good one :smile2:

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I wonder if this would would work for drum...or carp.....or gar? :confused2:

9. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    When we get tard of fryed fish, we filet them then grind them up,then we add dice unions and peppers,mash up saltines, a couple of eggs and flour, add salt and pepper to taste, make into patties. You can bake or fry these.
    Walter

10. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They use 7 UP out west with 1 inch chunks Sturgeon and boil it a couple min. then dip in lemon and butter,I have tried it it's not bad.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I will try it on something else but crappie no way its to gooooood:tounge_out:

12. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a freezer full of crappie. I fry, grill, and bake just to keep things interesting. I'll definitely try the "shrimp" recipe. Many thanks.