Crappie pole for my MIL

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by boswifedeb, Mar 20, 2008.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    My mother in law likes to fish with a cane pole, but I was thinking about getting her one of the telescoping crappie poles. She's short, about 5 foot nothing and usually sits when she fishes. What length do y'all think would be best, and what kind of line do you usually use on them? She would probably just be scaring the bluegill or something small.
    Thanks for your help.
    Debbie

2. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Get her a 9 ft Wally Marshall at bp . Best crappie rod i ever had.

3. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks. What's your preference for the line?
    Debbie

4. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Debbie, I can appreciate you taking your MIL fishing with you, it appears that the both of you enjoy the shared time together. However, since my MIL is a completely different person, I have had some ideas. Like taking her to a briskly running stream that is teaming with wildlife, maybe the discharge of a power generator dam, set her up on a limb line of sorts, I'll even use one of those fancy shmancy knots ,,,, uh uh ,,,, how about a "Noose", than I will just nudge her out into the honey hole of honey holes, then I will sit back and contemplate how fishing does in fact relieve stress...:big_smile_2:

5. cods

cods New Member

State:
    Texas
    If she likes a cane pole she would love one of those. The WM is also a good set up.I have both. As far as line,I use any thing from 6 to 12 .

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    The WM rods are indead great poles but one I use is the B&M's in 7 & 8' length.For line I like power pro in 6 lb test 2lb dia.

7. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Mr. Crappie camo line 1980 yds of 6 lb test on a spool under 10 dollars at bp.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i useually use a 33 rod when crappie fishing

9. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for the info. Yep, my MIL and I get along better now. I stole her baby boy 15 years ago next month, so she's finally starting to get over it and figure out that were not planning on calling it quits anytime soon!!:wink: Besides, it's too hard to break in another one. Thanks again!:big_smile:
    Deb

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My lifetime collection of Crappie & Bream "POLES" with eyes & seats for a reel at 62 years of age are,"Zebco"=12' "Slab Seekers",12'-20' Shooting Star="SS-10S Series Flip Poles",10'-20' "B'n''M="Slo-Trollers".Wally Marshal=12' Mighty Lite,14' Universal,16' Tightline Specials.

My original old antique leather handle wrapped "Lew's Bream Buster" which I hear "B'n''M" is now reproducing for sale is also a great Bream & Crappie pole under certain conditions,like when the bite is very lite.My assortment of B'n"M Teliscopic Poles from 12'-16' are great Crappie and Bream poles and replaced my cane poles.I am well satisfied with would buy each of the listed above again.

As for line.Everyone makes the "best" and every one who recommends usely recommends the "best".A lot of Bull Manure going on here as all cannot be right.I like a lot of different lines for different reasons and line changes with time.I have bought enough in 50+ years to see this.I use a "limp" 4 lb.-"tough"20 lb.line for Crappie fishing.4 lb.can be great when they collect in "clean" (no snags) water in late winter or early spring.When they are down among a tangle of logs and brush tops,I like a wire hook and heavy rig that I can straiten the hook and break off the line.I also like to use a short length of weaker line for a sacrificial leader at times,so that it will break off 2-4 foot of line instead 20-50 foot of my main line if I am in this type of situation.One of my best Crappie holes I called the "Way over there hole"as you could not get close to it and you were going to lose a lot of rigs.

Let us know what she gets and how it all works out.We are all learning.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee