Crappie lures

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by nitronostrils, Feb 9, 2008.

1. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
  2. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I like tube jigs but those should work.I fish Mark Twain but diferent lakes and rivers I would use diferent bait.I also usually tip em with a minnow.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My favorite crappie lure is a bucket of small minners ,Works every time. :wink:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

5. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Thanks fellas for the info but unlike catfishing if it stinks a cat will come. I get confused on all the color combos what colors work in what conditions a lil explanation would be cool. I use a Abu Conolon rod w/a Abu abumatic to catch cut bait for cats and I guess it will suffice for crappie?

Randy you know it- if CC was on the stock market I'd have acouple of shares:wink: Yes RLSP has some good coves to work out of.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Tube jigs work well. jig heads I like 1/16th to 1/8th oz and sickle hooks in them. There so sharp and will catch fish others miss.
    Color as long as it [GH09] - Lt Green/Chart I like it. LOL
    I tie my own. Worked today. Wife and I caught 25 in 20 MPH winds.
    Pete
    http://www.southernpro.com/GH.cfm
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/jig%20tying/jigs007.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/jig tying/jigs005.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/jig tying/jigs001.jpg

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I use tube lures, feather lures and minnows, I have used some of what you have pictured and it is very hit and miss for me.

8. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
  9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    They'll work, minnows work best I think. Tube jigs is good. and other jigs. The ones ya have is good, the cabelas kit is ok, probably designed to catch fishermen too, but at least you'll be prepared.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Jeremy those will work, but I would suggest for the money finding a mixed selection of items, some tube, curly tails, different jigs etc. That way you are not limited to just a tube presentation. Just my $0.01 on it.

This kit from Cabelas has a little of everything to start out with which will give you a mix of sizes and styles and color.

Cabela's 648-Piece Crappie Kit Item:IH-119104$19.99

Matter of fact I need to get up to CC here for long and re-stock my boxes. After the weather breaks, few more weeks they should start hitting a bit at RLSP, I'll drop ya a line some time and you can meet me there one day if ya want, will try to get a bucket of them tasty little critters, you ever open during the week?

11. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I always buy at least 1/2 pound of medium shinners.I tried the small ones and just caught mostly small crappie and perch. Once all my rods are set,I have one rod that I tie a tube or maribu jig on.I fan cast these to look for different depths and structure that I may have missed.This works well for me but thats just the way I've fished for years.(Old habits) Allen

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    What color works best is determined by the water color and opacity. What you are after is visibility. Tie a few on and slowly drop & you will be able to tell which is more visible. Always remember, crappie feed UP! You need a bait that rides horizontal. On different occasions, crappie like a faster or slower fall so carry 1/32, 1/16 & 1/8 oz. lures. Sometime they work better tipped with minnows, sometimes they are better without. Don't be shy on changing combinations. I myself go with med. minnows, they seem to live longer. Crappie school by age class so if you don't like the size you are catching, just keep moving. Knowing when you get a bite can be difficult, sometimes they hit hard, but often the only clue you will have is a slight lowering of weight on the line when they take the bait in their mouth and just sit there without moving. As a result, I recomment 4 lb line on a ultralite or even a microlite rig.

Good fishing

13. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Randy thanks for the item# at Cabelas, I was looking for a kit with various lures. Guess I just didn't make it down the list that far, just something cheap to get me started. CC didn't seem to have a kit just a 50-100 same color deal. Already have a minnow bucket so try out the minnow tipped jigs too that the other Bros have mentioned. The weekends are really the opportune time to go as the work week is Mon-Fri.:cool2:

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Not a problem, it wouldn't let the pic post for some reason, any way no big deal, one of these Sat or sundays I'll shoot ya a line and we can go give it a whirl at RLSP go troll around the channel edges and hit some brush piles see if Mr. crappie wants to cooperate. Yes It would be nice if CC had a few kits set up, but once you find what works for ya its awful hard to beat the price they have on the numbers...... Soon as we get a few decent days of weather we can sure give it a shot, I usually hit it pretty hard in the early spring over there, get that supply for the freezer ya know.

15. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    you should buy stuff from fresh water basics. not only is it cheap to buy you can buy a pack of tubes curley tails and jig heads and for about $1.00 per pack you cant beat them. they are the best lures for the money. you gotta keep the pack sealed so they dont dry up though. talk to you later.:cool2:

16. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I like to use rooster tails of various sizes.

17. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Got the kit from Cabelas yesterday that you suggested, it does have alot of different types in there. But yeah early spring is good for trying out RLSP, which I'm sure you know that place. After mid/late spring I migrate to the cat holes.:wink:

18. kenkinser

kenkinser New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wouldn't buy a kit of tubes, get indiviual packs, Black/Chart,Blue /white Pink/ white orange/chart and get some 1'16th and 1/32 jig heads minnow bucket You don't need a whole lot of baits to catch crappie just 4-5 basic colors tubes jig heads and 2-3 doz minnows for a day or night,

19. dbarbosa

dbarbosa New Member

State:
    Mansfield, Texas
    Guy's more great info. thanks.

Darwin.

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds good Jeremy, I'll drop ya a line here in a few more weeks or so, meet ya there at RLSP some Saturday or Sunday morning and see what we can come up with? As soon as they re-open the gate to the launch, we can go hit some brush piles if ya want. Yea that kits has just a decent amount to start off with.
    Randy