Crappie Lights!!! I Got Me An Idea!!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by glenmorebuckman, May 2, 2006.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I'm new at using underwater lights for crappie fishing at night, but I was amazed at how many shad come in to the lights. Just clouds of them circling the light. Has anybody tried using these to draw in shad for blue cats?

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You using green lights or the regular white lights?

3. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    White lights. Q-Beam Starfire II.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Everyone that I talk with that crappie fished at night. Catch a lot of blues . And sometimes they have to just quit. As the blues will take over.
    Pete

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Shiloh,
    You sayin that the lights attract the shad which attract blues, and the blues run off the crappies? That might be a good bait catchin tactic, plus I can stay right there and catfish.

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Billy,
    How long did you have to wait for the shad to start comin in? Did you set up on a shallow flat, near a dock, etc. Just wondering cuz that might work where I fish at. Thanks for the advice!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I use the lights at night down around 10 to 12 feet and catch crappie and then its mostly blues.

The cats feel the vibrations in the water from the shad and crappie on a feeding frenzy and they come to it.

I use the green and white lights alternately. I have cut a big hole in some thick Styrofoam and inserted a head light and tied fishing line to it and get it away from the boat to just create a feeding frenzy.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've wondered about using a submersible light while drifting -- maybe I could start a whole parade of bigger and bigger fish following the light around as I drift... Put my bait out at the end of the parade and take some blues home.

But then I figured that the plankton that are drawn to the light can't move fast enough to keep up, so it might not work.

9. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I've used the lights 3 times now , on two seperate lakes. One of the lakes, I haven't seen many shad in, but when using the light there were thousands! It takes from 30 minutes to an hour for them to come in, but when they do you'll be amazed. Every time I've used it, I had my fishfinder on and you can see them start coming in, and they got so thick that I finally just turned it off. I have been setting up over about 15-20 feet of water.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have one of those green light. I forgot that I had it because I have not night crappie fished in a while. I will try it while catfishing.

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i have the 22" qbeam green submersible light that they advertise as having a 5000+ hour bulb, and draws no insects when used as a camp light. ive used mine a total of maybe 35 hours and the bulbs goin out. and when not in the water, the mosquitoes swarm to it. luckily academy says i can exchange it for a new one even though i got no reciept! anyone have problems with their green light like this?

13. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    sounds like a sure bet for getting some blues, will defiantly try it to see what happens

14. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    hmmmmm, once again I am learning.:smile2:

15. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Another one of those ideas I need to try! Thanks for the info!

16. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Do you just drop the light over the side of the boat?
    the bulbs may be overheating in the air , the water cools them off to last longer.
    I will have to try this .
    Itried a black light on the side of my boat one night to see the rod lines. i nearly got eat alive by skitters. Looked like i have the pox.
    good luck catch ya later.

17. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    I know the stiper and walleye guys on cumberland use the lights to attract shad. Alot of them buy a 3-4 ft diameter net and pinch on an extra 1-2 lb weight to help it sink faster. The shad will outrun the net before it can hit bottom in more than six feet of water. they get around this by draping the net over the side, when they flip it out, the other person turns out the light and the shad dive. after a three count they turn the light back on which turns the shad to the surface and the light.

If you have a smaller managable umbrella net it will work just as good. I once saw a guy with two umbrella nets rigged on his boat dock at a small KY lake. He had a pole with one of those million candle spot lights he would hang that spot right over the umbrella net which was about 3-6ft under the water and hooked to a pully. when the shad started to really congregate he would just give it a little pull and have a bucket of shad.

18. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The only time I use lights for fishing is when I am targeting stipers. I've never had much luck at catfishing when using lights. I always caught small ones. Then and old man I met at Santee told me not to use any light at all. The first time I tried this we caught 17 fish that night and included a 55lbs. flathead and a 41lbs. blue. So from then on I don't use any light what so ever or I don't let any light hit the water. I use a black light to do the netting because every time I used a white light the fish would just take off again pulling drag. He told me the big cats are afraid of the light and will not come around because I usually fish shallow water. It made sense to me. I can't really argue after that kind of a night and all the other nights sense then. I haven't given the green lights enough use to make a comment on them though. They may not be as bad as the white lights. They are not as intense. Let me know if you get some info on the green lights. I would like to know if they work better or worse.

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I got to see a show a few years ago,. These guys were bow fishing for rough fish. They had a big generator running and were talking noise. And they had big halogen spot lights at each Conner of the pontoon boat. They were sitting in 3ft of water .
    And with all the lights making it look like daylight. And all the shad running around . What moved in???
    Big school of Blues. Some of them 40 lbs or better. Yes they shot a few. But the ideal that all the blues came in to the lights when everyone was telling us all a few years ago. That it had to be dark and light would run them away.

I still plan on tying that. Hook on a Honda 2000 Gen and flood lights and see for my self if it works. Just think floats, Big shad and hold on. Bet it would be some fun, A 40 lbs blue in 3 or 4 ft or water. You can bet it would be a run and a 1/2..

Pete

20. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a hydro-glow 4 foot green light to catch crappie and white bass in the spring. I usually anchor in the old river channel below Truman Dam here in MO. Takes about 15 minutes for shad to start schooling around the boat, so many shad that the depth finder starts showing 7 feet deep bouncing off the shad. Only catch small blues but did see one about 15 pounds swim near the surface casually seeing what was going on. Definately a good way to catch shad if you're not in a hurry. The light was about $200 but its supposed to last 20,000 hours. It floats vertical on the surface. Chris