Crappie light good or bad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Zonaman, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm interestested in the Arizona take on this. What effect will a crappie light have on the catfish bite?

2. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey Zona I've caught a lot of channels under a crappie light when fishing for stripers, white bass, and crappie. Caught them on just about everything if I fish close to the bottom usually 30+ feet of water. If I'm fishing just for catfish I use a head light only.

3. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey i have used a crappie light and caught a few channels but nothing real big

4. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well I have heard mixed things. They way they work is they start the food chain process. The only thing the light really does is attract plankton and then small fish come for the plankton then bigger fish for the smaller fish. It might work very well because catfish like bait fish.

I would believe the crappie light actually works on any fish that likes to eat other fish. There are some that are only $20, so it might be worth a shot.

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    works great for channels awful for flats.

6. crohrer

crohrer New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good to know i will try this

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We bought a crappie light, well actually we've bought several crappie lights and returned most because they leaked water into the bulb area. We got one to work and it didn't do much for the catfish but it sure brought in fish of all species. I guess it's one more trick that might work on some nights and is worth the small price just to try. Don't expect miracles and you won't be disappointed. Just a thought.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    channels don't seem to be afraid of anything. caught quite a few in souther ca with with when fishing for crappie. but for flats. no lights at all .
    gary

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i agree with gary. if you have lights around, dont expect flats to be anywhere near. channels dont seem to mind to much though. they will come to anywhere there is bait it seems like.

10. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for all the input! This is pretty much what I've been reading here and there. So next time I'm up, I think I'll leave the light off.

11. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Ok for channels but Flats don't like them. If you ever catch a Flathead and tie him up to the side of your boat, let him lay in the dark for a few hours and then turn on a light in his direction. They go crazy. I think they dislike bright lights.

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    took a guy fishing in mid 90's to mittry lake around yuma. he hooked into what looked and fought like one of biggest i'd heard of coming out of the lake. we told him no lights. (we used a green chemical lite to see by) before we could stop him, he grabbed flashlight cause he "had" to see it when it got to side of boat. sounded like a 22 going off when the line snapped. the fished just exploded.even smacked side of boat turning around and taking off so fast.
    now i carry one spot light for moving boat around at night, and wear head lamps with red lens. still using green chem light for nite lite.
    gary

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    well time before last billy jo and myself were fishn the bend across my trailer and i had a very brite drop lite on and pointed at my flathead bait in about 4' water about 30' away with out thinking about it for about 20mins while i was working on a messed up reel, right in the middle putting my reel back togther a 8lb flat hit the bait and i thinking it mite have helped, just dont know sure,, telln ya when ya get a flat next to the boat no or lite they go crazy and most often make one last big run

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    My 2 cents:
    I used to love fishing for crappie and flattys at the same time.. I would fish in relativly deep water, so I did not think that the light made that big of a difference.
    ~ I got into a post a while back discussing this topic and tried fishing in the dark with no lights and now I feel it makes a big difference. Especialy for the bigger flattys.. The smaller ones don't seem to care much.
    * I only use a small LED headlight.
    ~A

15. chaz9071

chaz9071 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Went fishing just a couple of weekends ago and caught my first flathead. Whenever I shined a light on the stringer to check the fish, that flathead would go ballistic!!

Definately no lights, not even the moon if you can help it.

~Chaz~

16. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm going to have to agree with the majority here. No lights.

17. CUT_BAIT

CUT_BAIT New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I like it as dark and quiet as possible.If I could I would turn off the moon :smile2:

18. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I like light to see my rod tips but dark.i use a crappie light to catch bait with and thats it.

19. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I would definitely say no light as Ive been fishing from shore andcatching one fish after another only to have someone see me catching fish, plop their lantern down 10 ft away and kill the bite like shutting off a switch.