Crappie Jugs

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by ShilohRed, Nov 29, 2008.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Were about to start testing some new crappie jugs. There about the same as the bigger jugs for Catfish. But not as big, that way the crappie should love them. And also allows you to store more of them being there not as big.
    I have them made up in the 2 5/8" round X 5" tall and then the 3 1/2" round X 5" tall sizes. The 2 5/8" X 5" ones will float 16 oz's of lead. So should be fun to fish.
    This winter the crappie will be stacked up over deep water. And this will allow you to catch more crappie. And also at the same time enjoy jug fishing.
    Now I do know that TX its not legal. So please check with your state to make sure you can fish jugs for crappie.
    Pete
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Wildwolfproducts/crappiejugs02.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Wildwolfproducts/crappiejugs01.jpg

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Those look great! I might have to order some. Are they available in the coke can design? :big_smile: That way I can have some style added to my rig. Do they come in a Busch Light design? :smile2:

3. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    hmmmm... interesting, I've never heard of jug fishing for crappie before. Would you tie on a jig, or use minnows? How is it that you have your best luck jugging for the papermouth?

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Very cool Mr. Pete, we have had a great time in the past playing around with them although we had used 20 oz. pop bottles, and had them rigged with a jig on bottom and 18-24" above another, some we tipped with waxies, some with minnows, they were more of a pain being the pop bottle, but them items you have look very nice for this, and yes the will catch them specs, and the occasional walleye could not resist the jigs and minners.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We used to jug several times a year for crappie on a small lake near my house; it's a kids lake now, with only rod & reel fishing allowed. It's a flat, shallow lake, with a bottom ranging right around 8' deep all over the lake. I would use a 4'-5' length of 10# mono, a gold crappie hook, and a small splitshot sinker, with a minnow for bait. About half the fish I caught were crappie, a fourth were catfish, and a fourth were bass.
    Those new jugs look like just the ticket for crappie jugging. I've got some of those jug-making kits, so I might just have to make me up some little crappie noodles. Can't believe I never thought of doing that. :worship:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great idea Pete. Never thought of using jugs for crappie.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Well to make them look like a coke can or beer can. Is easy. Just cut the top and bottom out of can. Then rip it in half. Then wrap that around the jug. LOL

You can use a jig or hook and minnow. But I have better luck with a jig tipped with a minnow. Works better for me. But I have some of the small sickle hooks. And will be trying them out next week to see how well they work.

Best bet for using jugs for crappie this time of year. The fish here stack up in 30ft or deeper of water. And will hang around 15 or so feet deep I rig mine with 2 or 3 hooks or jigs and minnows. The bottom hook then come up 3 ft and add the next one. Then 3 more feet and add the next one. That way your covering different depths.

If you have not given jug fishing for crappie a try, your missing out on the fun. I hope to have a video of doing it on the website soon. Also should have the jugs ready to fish on line in a week or so. Also you can order the jug kits and build your own also.
    Pete

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  9. LSJ1214

LSJ1214 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use a yellow plastic oil can with a yoyo tied to it. When the yoyo trips they stand up, if you get the fish they stay on end. The yoyo wears out the fish. I caught a 10 pound gar on it once, we had to follow him for a while.

Like before make sure of the rules in your state. In Arkansas you have to put your name and other info on the jug.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used the yellow oil jugs for crappie jugs, but not with a yo-yo. A friend of mine used to use old freon refill cans; that's why I think that the Wildwolf crappie jugs will work so well. They're just about the same size/displacement. And when you bait those babies up with minnows, don't be surprised at how many catfish and largemouth bass you catch, too.

11. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have the 20 oz. bottles painted yellow with spools.
    Found some tiny washers to use as spacers. Placed swivel snaps
    and tyed a few knots in line so hooks can travel so far up and down line.