Crappie jigs

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by ShilohRed, Sep 22, 2007.

1. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn

Man that is some killer jigs right there buddy. You did a fantastic job on them Pete.

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Those look good, Pete. What is the big orange one for? Crappie?
    Be careful, you'll start buying all kinds of stuff to tie em with! :big_smile:

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    You did some fine work there Pete:big_smile:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mity fine lookin work ya doing there.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks Jim... Hope we get to try them out at Pickwick this week.
    Thanks. The big orange one is a Sauger jig its only 3/4 oz got to get a 1 1/4 oz mold also Love to fish for Sauger.

Thanks everyone.. Even had a guy today trying to buy some of them Told him I would have to wait and see. Have not been tying them but a little over a week. but sure enjoy it. Also gives me something that I can do on the days I have trouble getting around.
    so Now to pour more lead and tie more jigs. And hope and Pray to see how well they catch fish in a few days.
    Pete

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Hello Pete ....Well you have the talent to make some beautiful jig's. I'll bet you can sell them and make your self some extra catfishing income:wink:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks, But just starting out, But finding out I like to do it.
    Don't know about selling them now. LOL But you never know. Would not even know what to charge. But I see a lot of people selling them for $1.50 to $2. per jig. Sounded high. But figure in the price of hooks, And then lead heating the lead then pouring the jigs then powder coat paint. Then all the stuff to tie them.Guess its not that bad. That would be a way to buy more supply's. LOL
    Here is one that I did this am. First one that I did the whole thing. Poured the jig, Powder coat for color and then finished it.
    Pete

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Good looking jigs Pete. I bought a vise and supplies but just don't have the artsy-fartsy in me to produce a jig even close to what you've made.

Going out on a limb here, but bet those Crappie in your neighborhood really like green chartruse:wink:.

You spider-rigging these jigs or are you a minnow dunker that way?

9. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    nice jigs , bet i could bust some trout, brown trout , and some kokkanee off those . are you gonna try any different patterns ?

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes they like that color. Also I have a lot of that so getting it used up also.
    Been using 32 minnows each time I spider rig just to bait up and get ready. But will try the jigs and hope they work out better.

Plan on trying out as many different patterns I can. AS I will be making up crappie, Sauger and walleye jigs.
    Pete

11. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas
    what kind of fish is a sauger?

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I love tying my own rigs. you can really come up with a lot of different flys and rigs I tie my own skip jack rigs and they seem to hold up better after a lot of abuse.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Cousin to a walleye. But does not have the white spot on the tail and has dark saddle marks.

The Sauger (Sander canadensis) is a freshwater Perciform fish of the family Percidae which resembles its close relative the walleye. Saugers, however, are usually smaller and will tolerate waters of higher turbidity than will the walleye. In many parts of their range, saugers are sympatric with walleyes. They may be distinguished from walleyes by the distinctly spotted dorsal fin, by the lack of a white splotch on the caudal fin, and by their generally more brassy color. The average sauger in an angler's creel is 300 to 400 g (0.75 to 1 lbs) in weight but the world record was 8.1 kg (17 lbs, 12 ounces.) Saugers are more typical of rivers whereas walleyes are more common in lakes and reservoirs. The sauger is highly prized as a food fish.

Hybridization between saugers and walleyes is not unknown; the hybrids, referred to as saugeyes, exhibit traits of both species. Being intermediate in appearance between the two species, saugeyes are sometimes difficult to differentiate, but they generally carry the dark blotches characteristic of the sauger.
    Pete

14. msminer

msminer New Member

State:
    Alabama - Roll Tide
    Pete, those are some nice looking jigs. Good thing you are new at making them, you might make some really nice jigs if you weren't. Those look like they would do the trick. Let us know when the cookout is after you catch all those crappie!

15. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    Nice lookin jigs Pete. Looks like you've been tiein them for years, let me know if you start sellin them.

16. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Hey Pete those are some good looking jigs. I just started tying myself.
    I have 10 or so that I'm going to give a try tomorrow.

17. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i would buy some too !! try them on ebay & they would go like hotcakes !!
    my friend just got 25 off ebay, just jigheads. no bucktail or feathers.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks Everyone,
    As for now I am just tie them for fun. But I may think about selling some later on.
    I know a few guys that are tying all they can and selling them. But man there charging $1.50 to $2 per jig. And I just can't believe they have a back log part of the year.
    But they also tie up custom jigs also. And the ones that are $2 per jig have special feathers and such in them.
    Guys I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn on tying them. but I sure enjoy it.
    Pete

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Pete, nice looking work, one question, are you dipping the heads or spraying them?, I tried the vinyl dip last winter and had very bad results with it..lol, either get it to thick or to thin, just wandering how yer doing it, set me up an airbrush rack to hold several at a time but man, that just takes too much time and is a bit messy :eek:oooh: I really like the stand ups you have, what style is that hook? LOL, sorry i just have 100 questions...lol Thanks!

Have been spinning a few Musky spins the past few weeks, show ya a few when they are done.
    I need to send ya my trebles for them, your wrappings look a bit better than mine do....