Crappie Jigs

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Whiskerhunter, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    Any of you guys tie your own jigs?

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Nope,I'm lucky to tie my own shoes...don't wanna push it:cool2:

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I pour my own jigs in the larger sizes; 1/16 & 1/32 ounce are a bit hard to pour, even using pure lead. I mostly use plastic tails now.

4. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    You have to get your mold VERY hot to pour the smaller heads. It will also help if you take a file and make the hole for the lead to run through a little bigger. Just be careful and dont make it as big as the head itself. I have poured 1000's over the years and the little ones can be CRANKY from time to time for me, still.

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Someone on here not to long ago had a bunch of hand tied crappie jigs for sale. The only thing is i cant remember who it was.:confused2:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Nothing beats the action of maribou, especially in a suspended mode. Unfortunately, it's also the least durable.

7. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I am a fly tier and I tie my Crappie jigs also, very relaxing.

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will agree that jig and fly tying is relaxing and a great way to unwind with an added bonus of catching one on a hand tied creation of your own design.

9. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    I agree that catching a crappie on a jig you made is the BEST. I like coming up with new designs and trying/tying new things. I tied some crappie jigs for a guy last year and he caught over 300 (CATS) in a little over a month....lol. Go figure that one, but it was not a fluke, cause he is doing it again this year on the same color jigs. I guess cats like them too....:crazy:

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So whats the color?

11. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    Actually it's a combination of things....the head has to be a certain shade of chartruese with the right color eyes....tied with a certain shade of thread....and the the tail has two colors mixed together....both shades of green.....dont ask me why....BUT IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i usually just go buy curly tail jigs that come on the jig head