Crappie jigs-what works best for you

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by countrycat15, Jul 2, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    what kind of jigs work best for yall for catching crappie.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like and use 1/16 and smaller jigs when the bite is tuff. I have a varied assortment of grubs spiders watcha whos and so on. When the bite is good I like regular jigs and small crankbaits, slab spoons and spinner baits both inline and smaller bass spinnerbaits. And my favorite is just plain minnows.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i have cought one crappie on a jig.... it was a fly that i made... it was white with red hackle

thats all the info i got:confused2:

4. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Crappie/Trout Magnets and Renosky Lures Keystone Jigs. LETHAL. Another producer is the Panfish Assassin as well. Anything in Red/Chartreuse has produced wonderfully this year. God bless.

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I'm a big fan of tube jigs. Colors that usually work for me are red/chart, pink/white, red/white, chart/orange, blue/white, black/chart, and white. Southern pro offers a really nice kit from Cabela's.

6. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I generally use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz tube jig head and yellow and white tube. Other colors are red and white, all yellow, black and pink. I also use a bubble belly, aka baby bass assassin, in any shad or minnow color as well as chartreuse.

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i got these minnow body tubes with litttle 1/8 ounce jigheads that work wonders on them things......you can catch any fish in the world on a simple jig....i even saw a 50lb flatty caught on a bucktail one time

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I just use minnows for crappie

9. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I always use jigs for panfish. Northland tackle has a great assortment of crappie jigs. I suggest to any fisherman to check out the web site.

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like the Panfish Assasins.

11. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    1/16 with a twisty tail Chartreuse grub about 2in and a creek chub and float.
    some times orange and smoke with silver speck grubs work too

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    That works great to, a plain hook and a minnow. I like the Lazer Sharp crappie hooks. $3.50 for 50 at Wally World.

13. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I use a 1/16 Tube Jig Red and yellow not neon yellow just yellow my wife and I have caught over 200 crappie this year on that jig it is the only one I will use. If the crappie are not bitting in my favorite spot we will eat sunflower seeds and spit the shells in the water. 10 min. later here they come. Don't know how it works but it does! Good luck!

Keith
    Newcastle, Oklahoma

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i got some of the blakemore stumpjumpers with the spinners on them.....anybody caught fish on them?????

15. jtfoodguy

jtfoodguy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hand tie my own marabou jigs in 1/32 1/64 ounce, in a variety of colors.

John

16. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    Crappie will bite on a variety of jigs. Sometimes it can change day to day or even hour to hour. I have a lot of luck with the crappie sliders. Fish them weedless and you can get the right in the stumps. Also use the panfish assasins and curly tail jigs.

17. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey kenny you should use live bait for crappie that is how you catch a bigen:big_smile_2:

18. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    dont know what size got 10 of em at walmart they are a chatreuse jig and i put a little worm on the hook and cast it and reel it in or i find a whole and just jig it up and down. just started using them yesterday caught some yellow perch and tons of bluegill. bye!

19. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The best jig I get the most fish on is a pink head with a white feathered body. I tie on 2 onto my line with a bobber about 6 inches above the top jig and pop it every 3-4 seconds until I get a hit and reel it in. But for deeper water crappie fishing I use live minnow from the bait shop and normally fish 5-6 turns off the bottom.

20. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have the best luck with the good old fashion feather jigs, fished similar to the way described above. A variety of colors, depending on the type of day/weather I am fishing in.

One tip though, if you are using a feather jig, take it as soon as your are going to start, get it wet, and work the water into all the feathers, making them smooth and uniform. I have found you will get more strikes sooner than if you just start fishing with them. It takes some time for the feathers to allow themeselves to saturate and look like a tail, or whatever. Works around here anyway.