crappie jig colors

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cathunter600, Feb 10, 2009.

1. cathunter600

cathunter600 New Member

State:
    alabama
    which colors work best in stained and dark waters.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had good luck on Black/Chart.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Generally, the rule of thumb is darker colors for stained water and lighter colors for clear water. But in dingy water I have had great success on the Bass Pro Shops Crappie Beaver in electric chicken (color number 82) that horizontal tail can really call them in in dingy water.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    in stained water i have had really good succes with chartreuse and pepper flake, chartruese and black, or black and yellow.

5. Puddin Head

Puddin Head New Member

State:
    Grenada Lake, Ms
    I go along with all the other guy's. Anything with chartruese in it will work. The best pro crappie fisherman Ronnie Capps and Steve Coleman have won 1.4 million in pro tournaments over the years using chartruese and lime.
    I guide for crappie on Grenada lake, Ms and the lake is muddy as heck, and chartruese works great here.
    I also have some sucess with blue and white jigs.
    Good Fishing......Gary Meadors

6. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Well im not as scientificly advanced as some people on here, but my favorive crappie jig is a red and chartruse tube jig.

7. roughneck30

roughneck30 New Member

State:
    texas
    Ive been tearing up slabs on Lake Tyler for about two weeks now and my favorite lures is a crappie assassin in black gum. its black on the back and pink on the belly. the black has sparkles in it. looks funny but catches the heck out of em.

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Color doesn't matter as long as it's yellow.

9. Mr.Seaguar

Mr.Seaguar New Member

State:
    Sioux Center, Iowa
    Pink and white is really good. Works for blugills too.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had the same colors working last year for me, do you guys use a spinner off of the jig or just a plain jig with a balck/chart rubber on it. This is new to me cause before last year I had never used or wanted to use anything other than bobber and minnows and always had great luck but so many guys are telling me to use the setups you guys are talking about.

Thanks

11. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    On Truman and Tablerock it dosen't matter unless you arenot using a red jig with black and chartruse:wink:

12. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    Lake St. Marys in Ohio pink/white were always good in dark water. Here in in NC. it's generaly chart/dark--green/dark for stained water. If you are fishing same dock or place some times they want a switchup.:confused2:

13. Heavyhitter063

Heavyhitter063 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  14. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fish with all these colors you guys have mention.I've had the most success with pink and chartruese..I also use blue/white and my favorite is a pumpkin seed/chartruese..

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Electric chicken, brown with a pink tail beavertail, black and char, black and blue, and yellow and white. These are my favorites

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use minnows, but when I run out of minnows, I use a jig. I chartreuse jig with a yellow head. I do keep a few in white and some in yellow, but almost always use chartreuse.

17. bighoss

bighoss New Member

State:
    Thomson Georgia
    I use chartruse green wiggle tail and catch more in 2 or 3 days then we eat in a year.head color doesnt matter.