Crappie Info

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by davesoutfishing, Feb 20, 2006.

1. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    Crappie or Sac-a-lait are a schooling fish and are very important gamefish in the United States. Crappie are most often caught in the spring time when the annual spawn occurs but can be caught year round. They become less active in very cold water or very warm water. Crappie will always hold on some type of structure and are quite sensitive to light, often moving deeper during the midday hours.

Key Notes and Tips:
    *Crappie feed primarily on smaller fish.
    *Crappie are caught almost exclusively on natural bait or small jigs.
    *In some places night fishing underlights is very popular.
    *If you are into a school of crappie and they stop biting you can often get them started again by switching the color of your lure or by fishing slightly deeper.
    *The word Sac-a-lait comes from the fine eating flesh of the fish, it is French for sack of milk.

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    good info ,sure it will help alot of people.

3. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    they are good eatin thats for sure

4. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I got a spot on a small lake, it's about 7 feet deep in this spot, but when it's cold out, you can kill em, I mean if you can sit on this spot all day, you will catch fish all day long. Never seen another place like it. But it has to be cold or they aint there. You can catch em like that every day the colder the better.
    I didn't do real good there this with the lake being about 5 feet low and all. Maybe next winter it will be better.

5. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Thanks for the primer Dave! Good post! Keep feeding us info for us beginners!