Crappie in the mississippi river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat junkie, Sep 26, 2007.

1. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever caught crappie out of the mississippi river. I live in Hannibal, MO and I would like to try the river for crappie. I have been doing pretty good lately on the bluecats so I thought I would go after a crappie or two. Any advice on where to start looking for the crappie in the river would be great. Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Scott

2. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    go up in the mouths of the creeks the deeper the better im from louisiana mo and we catch them up in salt river and buffalo creek right below the la railroad bridge

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yeah.. Most of the people I know that fishes for Crappie on the Mississippi go up in the feeder creeks and small rivers and fish the brush piles..

4. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Scott, I normally fish the feeder creeks for crappie but last year at this time I was up your way and probed the snags with my crappie pole drop shot rigged using a minnow. Worked the snaggs along the islands north of Hannibal next to main channel. Pulled an 11 inch thich black crappie out of one 4 to 5 ft. down, also a flathead, 2 drum and a hugh skipjack out of the same snag in the evening time. That's what makes it so fun, the surprise at the end of the line.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dang Michael, thats one thick crappie.:crazy:

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good morning Darryl... thats a thick black crappie 11 inches long... Scott, river crappie tend to school by size, meaning catch one then the rest you catch out of that group should be close to same size. They also are very small schools usually with just a few, the larger fish tend to have the least amount so I will only harvest two then go looking elswhere for others. I have fished hard covering alot of area till they were found, so when you pull that first river crappie out, you'll appreciate the moment.