Crappie in a casting net

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I was at Jordan Lake last Saturday night throwing a casting net for some shad. I was pulling up crappie and shad together. What does that mean to a crappie fisherman? Are the crappie feeding on shad? Perhaps some sort of prespawn activity? Water temps were around 60-65. I've never really fished for crappie before but my curiosity is peaked.

Jon

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Large crappie will feed on small shad. Like any big fish will eat any small fish. Before you keep any crappie you catch in your cast net, know your state laws. If the crappie is a game fish and you catch it in a cast net and keep it, you may be in violation of your states statutes.

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Don't get caught in NC with net caught crappie. Throw them back.

Shad feed on plankton, so do small minnows. As you probably know crappie LOVE minnows. In the water big eats little and so on, and so on. Catching shad and crappie together means that the plankton and minnows are in the area and everyone is eating.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Also means you should be fishing close by that :cool2:

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Crappie totally dig shad.

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks for the input guys.

Yes crappie is a gamefish in NC, and as such must be taken on rod and reel. So I did throw them, and the two stripers that I caught as well, back. Although, I'd be lying if I told you that I wasn't tempted to keep them :embarassed: , but thought better of it, for the sake of my own honor.

Jon

7. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In my last post, I was actually talking about catching our biggest crappie on shad colored crankbaits and the water temp was in the high 60s. So yeah the bigger ones will tear up shad especially around this time of year.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    at one of my spots for shad, i always catch crappie along with the shad. this place is full of stunted crappie, and i have a feeling there as many crappie as there are shad. they all go back in the water though...

9. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i caught over 2 dozen crappie of all sizes last sunday night in a cast net. if i can catch small shad in my net i will use those for crappie before i will minnows

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Any of you tried catfishing in these spots that hold shad and crappie?

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've caught them little shad before and I used them to catch crappie and they work good. You can keep about 200 of 'em in a 20 Grayline. They are pretty tough, just hook 'em and get 'em back in the water quick. hokk throught the lips. I couldn't keep the darn perch off 'em when I was crappie fishing. Best day was 68 in 3 hours of catching crappie and perch mixed together. cheaper than $1 a dozen. They love 'em, and there are more shad than shiner minnows in lakes usually anyway.

12. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    oh yeah....the catfish hold on em too...but i really love to fish old trees in the water that are stacked with water turkeys crappin whole shad and turning the tree white. the blues and channels are extreamly thick under those trees

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    this place i get mine at, they put blues in there to control the shad population afew years back... biggest blue was 15 pounds, but the average is about a pound.
    i have caught a few nice bass too while castnetting shad. i guess they are just in there to keep me honest, :big_smile: .

14. Ripclear

Ripclear New Member

State:
    warrensburg, mo
    I have caught a lot of crappie in cast nets. I cast for shad near a damns water break.