crappie hole

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by txthumper1691, Jan 17, 2009.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I am making a few crappie holes using cedar branches weighted down with big a** rocks with th hopes of catching a mess of crappie and other game fish. I just don't know how often I should add fresh cedar. Also, in conjunction with th cedar what else could I use to help draw in fish? any advice would be greatly appreiated. thans to any help.

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    we use bambo in a 5 gal bucket with ready mix in it. they are not as messy to haul around. i am going to fish some we put out last sept this week. we are taking some made out of pieces of pvc pipe to put out this time.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
  4. Lawrence Bridges

Lawrence Bridges New Member

State:
    sc
    cedar and most fern type trees will either rot or be hauled off by beavers in 3 to 5 years. i myself replenish a brushpile every year just to sweeten it up a bit weather it needs it or not it never hurts to increase the size of your attractor!!

5. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    All I use is hardwood tree's and cane. the fish can swim in anout of them where the cedar tree's they can't. Hard wood will last a long time and cane will last forever. I have found that most of the time the crappie like the hardwood better here in S.C.

6. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    I agree with Brad and the good thing about hardwood is that it sinks without adding weight, we use mostly water oak {pin oak} trees about 8-12 inches in diameter. The bushier the better but look for ones with pretty large limbs branching off the trunk. The little thick stuff will rot away fast but the big limbs will be around for several years