crappie hole tips

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by txthumper1691, Jan 18, 2009.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I posted a thread last night but cant seem to locate it now. I asked th question when using cedar trees or branches to make a crappie hole, how often do u need to add fresh cedar to keep th fish coming in? lets see if this works. I also asked if there was something else I could use like dog food or soured maze or corn in conjunction with th cedar to increase my odds of bringin in more fish?

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101192
    You had posted it in catfish discussion.

Thumper I lose my posts all the time...

The way I handle it is go to a thread I know I posted on (like for you...this one) and then by my avatar where it has my name and shows if you are online or offline, and I use the left click on my name and select "Find all posts by CuzICan" ...it will search those posts out and you can then see where you posted and it will show you the name of the thread and the first line of what you had posted.

There may be an easier way, but if so maybe someone that knows more can tell you.

3. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    My Father N Law used to sink Cedar trees for Crappie, From what lIttle I know is generated from my experience fishing his spots. I think the trees lasted several years. Location and depth were the key factors in where he placed them though. I believe there are new products made of life long lasting materials on the market now to use in leiu of trees . I believe he told me once that cedars lasted the longest.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "when using cedar trees or branches to make a crappie hole, how often do u need to add fresh cedar to keep th fish coming in"

I would reckon as long as you still have "bush-ing", it should be a draw. Goes "flat", time to refresh.

Me, I just cheat. The Bass fisherman at my fav Crappie lake build and maintain many piles, I just find them and fish 'em. They are not generally fishing when I am fishing for Crappie(late fall to late winter) so conflict is minimal. In fact, that time of the year is when they tend to be building them.

I reckon it as compensation for all the annoyance they cause me in the warmer months.:wink::smile2:

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    ok fishnvince, did your father-n-law tell you how deep, and what type of bottom or other structure to look for before sinking cedar? I thought about using pvc and making a crappie tree, but why, I have huge rocks, countless cedar, and wire for secureing all at my disposal, with no limit, why spend money when I can get th other for free, right.

DANZIG, I have done that to but I figured, why not use this stuff I have here, round my house for my fav passion....FISHING. If I just burn th cedar, and toss the rocks in a pile out here in th country on dry soil, it will invite snakes, and other varmits that I dont want this close to my house. I have left some piles alone cuz in a few months I will be snake hunting so those stay there. Also I kinda wanna be one of those guys who has his own li'l go-to spot for crappie and cats, instead of searching for other peoples hot spots all th time. dont get me wrong, I use them, but if they r not producing, them maybe mine might, and visa versa.

and thank you to cuzIcan for your help in locating lost threads.

I was gonna go out and sink my cedar today, but th daggum winds kicked up to over 25 mph, and threw in 2 ft swells, my lil jon boat cant handle those conditions, so I wait for less wind, and try again.

6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    My pleasure to help whenever I can, since I can't help you much with the other part of the discussion :)

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you can get it done when the waters down or have enuff boat to haul it, wood pallets make good brush piles. Lay 1 flat and lean 2 together.Wire em up good and tite. You can stuff a couple cedars in it along with a couple blocks tied to it and let er sink. The corp. here makes crappie attractor from PVS like was mentioned and i hear they work ok.
    I bass fish alot and make several brush piles every year. Have even helped the corp. on those cold miserable days clean the banks of less desirable trees.:smile2: Sycamore will sink like a rock, you don't need any weight if ya can put it where the current won't carry it off.

8. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    You can take 5 gallon buckets and set some bamboo in concrete...sink that and it'll last for years. Won't get hung up as much as with the cedars, and attracts like crazy. You can also use the PVC in the same way. Good stuff. Uh huh.

9. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    yeah, I saw on ............ about th bamboo, and th house right behind my folks place, in the back yard is over run with that stuff, and its like 10 ft tall so I gonna cut it down and rig it up some way and sink it, still gonna sink some cedar, and whatever else I can find that might work. Gonna try and sink all kinds of stuff and see which yields th best results. I like th pallet idea, but scared of hangin up on it. I also thought about just using th 5 gal buckets alone. Like cut it in half from top to bottom, turn them upside down, drill a hole in th bottom, tie off a brick, tie a knot in th string so when u run it thru th bucket it stops, go thru sev 1/2 buckets like that with a float of some sort tie at th top, that should be good cover to, its light, easier to transport, and easier to sink. gonna try this and report back with results.