crappie habitat

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by txthumper1691, Jan 24, 2009.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    when settieng up crappie structure, what kind of bottom do u look for and in what depth. do u want a sandy, or gravel bottom in 15-20 ft of water, or what?

2. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It all depends on several different things, what are you using for the structure, what are your avaliable options of bottom composition, what range of depths do you have to work with, is it going to be in a pond, lake, or river, what time of year are you primarily going to be fishing it. There is probably alot of other factors that could go into it, give us some examples of what you are thinking about and I am sure you will get some good ideas. Me personally I prefer to fish rock piles in deeper holes of the rivers and lakes in late winter and move on to rocks in shallow water as spring and spawning season rolls in. I prefer rocks over brush piles and fell over trees just for the simple fact of you dont loose as much tackle and if you can find the right ones sometimes the can hold hundreds of fish.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I always associate Crappie holding tight to struture. I look for trees and submerged structure. Depending on what time of year your fishing for them, I've found Crappie in less than 5' of water to as deep as 25' of water. Like livebaiting with minnows or casting Roadrunners ( a maribou haired jig with a spinner). Always check out riprap around dams. Crappie up here, prefer this type of cover for spawing. April and May are great months to hammer them around here.

Many great Crappie ponds have submerged Christmas trees. Crappie love this type of cover. My friend submerges weighted trees every winter and after ice out, the trees sink and makes for great HOTSPOTS to fish in the spring time.

Not to sure what type of bottom Crappie prefer, but I know they like clean water and shy away from muddy bottoms. Sandy or gravel bottoms both are a good best for locating Crappie.

Hope this helps..

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    well I have sev. options to choose from. I am dropping some cedar, bamboo condos, and even some cut in 1/2 5 gal buckets strung up like an underwater air chime, in sev diff depths. My plan is to fish for them year round. I have caught several 16 inchers in 18 inches of water on gravel bottoms right beside rocks th size of pumpkins and watermelons in mid Feb- mid March. The pay lake I am droppinf th structure goes as deep as 100 ft at th Dam. I plan on focusing on 25 ft and less, gravel to rocky bottom. fishing year round for crappie and anything else that is holding to th same structure.

5. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like you have a pretty good game plan, hope it works out well for you.

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    now I just gotta get th spring that pulls my pull rope back inside replaced.
    Then I can go do this.