Crappie Guts For Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by swmo guy, Mar 26, 2008.

1. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone every tried using crappie guts for bait when fishing for channel cats? A guy told me that it was not legal in Missouri, but I have not found anything that says you can't and I have heard that they are a good bait. I figured there was no reason to waste the stuff if it is legal and makes a good bait. Any input would be much appreciated!

2. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    The wildlife code states that you cannot use game fish and there parts for bait, This includes crappie, bass, perch and bluegill over 5 inches, and spoonbill. I'm sure there is more but these are the most common.

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    what kind of fish is that:wink:

4. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for answering my question... I guess I will just keep throwing them away then:sad2:.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    They do work but it is against the law.

6. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I have found when a body has lost its skin and head it hard to say for sure what species it is:wink:Add a day decomposition whos gonna bother! just make sure there are a few other species mixed in.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Here in Missouri when using fish for bait the regs are plain, no game fish or their parts. Folks, get a copy of the regulations and get to know it well, it is our own responsibility out there, it will also clear up anything heard that perhaps is incorrect. Had a fella recently that I explained that there is no size limit to bait caught on rod and reel and that the 5 inch size restriction only applies to fish caught by methods like in a trap or net. Under the new regs other size restrictions have been lifted for shad. Many folks I have talked with have assumed bluegill was a gamefish, they are not here in Missouri, across the river in Illinois they are but there they can be used for bait if taken from the same waters. We can go out and enjoy this wonderful sport without worry when we’re informed, look it up folks then you’ll know that you know. As for the example of using guts from crappie, I know that feeling of wasting a great resourse and have cleaned my crappie in a cove and came back later to catfish over the freshly chummed area. :cool2:

8. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i use em.i save them up all winter and use them all of spring.they are a great bait especially if you get the yellow egg sack with the guts as an added bonus and if their stomachs are full of shad.wish i could get them all year round

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  10. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you Marty for your most useful information. I am somewhat new to fishing and have read through the regulations at least 2 or 3 times, but it seems that it is pretty easy to miss or forget something. It is certainly my goal to participate in this sport legally and I strive to stay within the regulations at all times. It is nice to have access to a group of such knowledgeable fisherman such as yourself to help keep me on the right track!

Thanks again!