Crappie Gear for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by DTro, Jun 20, 2009.

1. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yep that's right Crappie gear.

About a week ago I was discussing various tactics for catching cats with a respected catman while we were out on the river one night (I believe he goes by Commanchero here). One of the tactics he uses for channel cats to keep the bait up off the bottom was a small crappie float. So I said to him, "I bet a rattling float would work great for Flats as well".

Well it just so happens that the floats he used were indeed a rattling type float. To be specific Mr Crappie Rattling float.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/31/92/61/i319261sq03.jpg

He generously offered me up one of the floats to try, so I attached it to my line approx 2" above the live Bullhead. My thought was that not only would it keep upward tension on the bait to create more struggle, it would also add some extra noise as the bait bounced. They are moderately loud and I would compare the sound to a baby rattle.

While using a float above a live bait is nothing new (Doug Stange and Steve Hoffman used this tactic in their In-Fisherman video "Day on the River) a rattling float was a different twist.

Well it didn't take long for me to decide that I might be using this tactic as an everyday thing. My success rate increased quite a bit and was able to put a few decent fish in the boat over the past week. If nothing else it has increased the oh so important confidence factor.

I will need to try using these bobbers a bit more to say for certain that they make a difference. While they haven't put any huge fish in the boat for me yet I've caught some decent fish. From my own observations and reports from others I fish with that have also been trying them, it looks like another great tactic to add to the arsenal.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g229/dtroseth/Catfish 2009/405.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g229/dtroseth/Catfish 2009/39.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g229/dtroseth/Catfish 2009/36.jpg

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thats some good info.I use a rattle on my drift leaders somtimes and it works well.

3. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    could you possibly post a picture of your rig once the float is attached? what im wonderin is if you just clip one side of the float on or both...i like your idea and i believe ill try it. one other question is does the plastic bobber eventually take on water? i have never had a bobber that didnt take on water that wasnt cork. thanks

andy

4. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I just snap the bottom snap on. With 80lb braid and or similar diameter line, the snap stays tight enough so that the bobber isn't sliding.

I haven't had it take on water yet, but even if it does, it's more the rattle that I'm interested in.

5. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this sounds like something i would really like to try :eek:oooh: the idea of the rattle makes sense cause it would put off more noise/vibrations helping the fish find your bait faster :confused2:... i will deff. be giving this a try soon!

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Very intresting. I sure wish we had bullheads here... but the rattle idea is quite intresting.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I love float fishing for catfish, I had got away form it but I am getting back into it now.

8. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
  9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Looks like your stickin alot of flatheads up there. I heard Minnesota had a good population of flatheads. Is there alot of guys fishing for them up there?

10. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    There’s a pretty good population of fish and fisherman here. There are a lot of other options in terms of other gamefish here in MN, so the Catfish doesn’t get much attention. It is something that is growing quickly though. The bag limit is fairly strict towards the cats which is good. The limit is 5 in possession with only one over 24” and only 2 can be flatheads. I’d actually like to see it even a bit tighter, but it’s better than most places.

I would say the majority of guys that target the big cats in MN are fishing them for sport and take great measures to protect them.

There is a very short growing season here, so the big ones needed to be treated as a delicate resource.

11. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So can you tell us the difference between when you used the bobber and when you weren't.

For instance how many times would you go out and not catch anything?
    Do you catch more in a night then normal?
    What types of water are you fishing in? Slow or Fast?

And do you actually think that it make a difference from your personal opinion?

12. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Do you just use sinkers to sink the bobber or how do you go by doing that? Good idea by the way.:cool2:

13. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I just haven’t used them enough to make a judgment one way or another I guess. I’ve only been using them for the past few weeks. I can say for certain that it hasn’t hurt the bite and there has been higher ratio of hits on a pole that has had a rattle bobber on it. Could just be a coincidence though.

It comes down to what you have confidence in I guess. Some guys feel good about clonking and some guys don’t, There is really no way to prove if it helps or not. I’m not a clonk guy myself.

All I know is that I gave these a try, and had immediate success, so I stuck with it and probably will continue to do so.

I haven’t found a downside other than perhaps in fast current you will have issues with the bait riding up due to the buoyancy and you might have to upsize the weight.

I’ve also experimented with putting the bobber right against the bait and then moving it up as high as 8”. I couldn’t see a significant difference as I caught fish both with both low and high positioning.

They are fairly cheap at 1.99/3 and seem to be working good for me so I thought I’d share the tip.

I average approx 30-35 hrs a week out on the water, so I’ve had a lot of time to play around with them.

I guess the channel cats like them too. I caught this one last night on a rattle bobber rig and live bullhead. (a tad over 14lbs)

Attached Files:

• 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      32.6 KB
      Views:
  14. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats a great size channel.

I fish fast water so I was thinking about trying it. I use a fairly large weight so I am not really worried about the boyancy.

I will see if it make a difference in my neck of the woods.

15. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    are you adding the bobber on a slip rig?

16. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yes, standard slip rig.

4ozBankSinker--swivel---------rattlebobber---------hook

17. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's a great idea. I never thought about it until now but I have caught flatheads on rattle traps before and guys catch them on rattling crankbaits at the headwaters of lake of the ozarks a ways down from Truman dam all the time. Hmmm, Im gonna have to get me some of those bobbers and give it a try.

18. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks again Darren. I just went and bought a few packs at BPS and I'm going to give this a try on my favorite hole this weekend. I have the feeling it will work.

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Darren, thats a nice Channel Catfish.