Crappie for Flatheads?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MSgtCatfish, Jun 1, 2008.

1. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I normally use live gizzard shad, blue back herring, or bream/sunfish while chasing big nasty flatheads. I've heard a lot of people using crappie for flatheads. I've wanted to try it but I can never seem to catch a crappie when I set out to chase flatheads, legally that is, I always catch them in my cast net but not on rod and reel. How many of you out there prefer to use crappie as bait or use/have used crappie with success? I know alot use them b/c of their size but I usually catch big shad and bream. Funny thing is I caught my biggest flathead on a scrawny 6 inch blue back herring!

2. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have been getting and using small crappie when out for perch. Have been almost as successful for me. Still prefer the perch, though.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    caught a turtle on one before

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    the lakes I fish the crappie have to be 8" to keep. I do use them when I catch them. The main issue I have with crappie is that they don't give off alot of vibrations, compared to whiteperch or bream. Onced hook the crappie just sit there and don't move around alot. By the way flatheads love herring. Thats my main bait in the falltime. Herring give off the most vibrations of any baitfish.

5. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    i'v never cought flathead but channel.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    They gotta be 9 inches in most water around here to keep them. When I catch em big enough to keep all I can envision is breading and hot grease so I don't use em for bait...lol :smile2: I just catch a bunch a bream for flatheads....

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In the state of Kentucky, it is illegal to use any game fish for bait. No matter how it is obtained. However, if I was given the opportunity to use crappie for flatheads ....you better believe I would!!!!!!! Excellent bait for Flatheads as well as other trophy fish:eek:oooh:

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    several of the flatheads and a lot of the blues i have cleaned had crappie in their stomachs. i just can't use it for bait in my state.

9. jeselder

jeselder New Member

State:
    illinois
    when it comes down to it, they all work. the only thing about crappie is they die a whole lot faster than blue gill, if you hook a blue gill right it can stay alive for a few hours(when they're not hitting of course) but it doesnt what we seem to do we can't keep crappie alive for more than one cast, if they stay alive that long

10. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    James, it is illeagal here in alabama to use any part of a crappie for bait for any fish. I have contacted the Alabama Wildlife commision and they said that you could not even take the crappie home, clean them and use the heads and guts for bait but yes crappie is a great cat bait.

11. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I tried crappie for the first time last year and to me hands down caught way more flats with crappie compared with bluegills. And yes it is illegal here also so you have to be real careful doing so. Bluegills put up more of a fight than crappie anyways and there not a game fish.:confused2:

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I stay away from using crappies.
    1. They are not lively, the wimps of the sunfish family.
    2. Their mouths are thin, hence the nickname "papermouths" and will easily come off you hook if you are distance casting.

Stick the good ole fashion bluegill.

13. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In Texas it is illegal to use any game fish/part of a game fish as bait no matter how obtained.

14. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Very interesting thread. My shad catching has slowed down recently, and I am catching small stripers, bass, bluegill, drum, monster skipjack, buffalo, small catfish in the net. It is literally soemthing different in the net on each cast.

I have wondered if all or any of the above could be used for bait. The two methods I have been taught is (1) cutting the head off the larger fish above, hooking it though the eyes with a 7/0 round hook, throwing it out for all you are worth, and seeing what happened; (2) using small shad hooked though the eyes, then back though the body (generally right on the "dot" on the shad's side), then following the rest of steps in one above.

Both methods above kill the bait. Most of the posts I have read say flatheads prefer live bait. How do you keep the bait alive on the hook, whatever it is? (You must be rigging it some way I have never seen). And how do you keep the bait alive before it goes on the hook--maybe water in a five-gallon bucket? Speaking as a bank fisherman--no fancy live well.

John Holleman

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    You cant use small stripers for bait here either.