Crappie for flathead catfish bait!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    Anyone have any luck with using crappie for flatheads. If so about how big should you limit them too? My cousin has a pond full of crappie and i was just wondering if they would work. Cut down on the cost of buying goldfish

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They're illegal for bait in Missouri, but they are on the menu! I've found them when cleaning flathead and blues.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can't stand using them. We used them more than I would have liked to last year. I think we may have had a couple runs, maybe even a couple small Flats, but nothing much. Bluegills, Goldfish, etc... seem to work muih better.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can't see why you couldn't use them (as long as legal), but I choose not to. When I'm fishing for baits and I catch a few small crappie, I throw them back. Bluegills and redbreast are just so much stronger and more active.

5. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I have caught a few Flats to about 25#, but I catch more blues and strippers than Flats.I don't normally use them but they do work.Be sure you check your state regs on using them,don't want to get anyone in bad with the local game warden.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Crappy are just too tasty to use as bait. Be like using Filet Minon to catch lobster. I guess if the lake was overcrowded with crappie I might contemplate it, but the urge to filet, batter, and fry them would be hard to resist. If the crappy are small just toss em back and next year they will be perfect.

7. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Crappie are good bait for flatheads, but bream, gold fish or white perch work better. They are more lively. Eat the crappie and save there heads. The crappie heads are excellent bait for big blues. I've caught several nice blues on crappie heads, but check your regs. first and read the fine print.

8. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I looked up the VA regs and while they weren't as clear as they could have been, from what I inferred from reading them was Game Fish (of which a crappie is one) in VA are not legal for bait, except for farm raised trout purchased from an authorized dealer for use in specific waters.

So it would appear that crappie are not a legal bait in your home state.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they arent the best bait in the world but they will work. i do best with them suspended under a float. never caught anything when using them on bottom.

10. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I think in most states they are considered game fish... Besides, they taste so good !

11. steilburnr

steilburnr New Member

State:
    ohio
    i hear the dark ones are stronger than their lighter cousins. GO BIG!!!!

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I 2nd what mellon said, I tried them several times last year, both live and cut, I dont think I got a hit on them..I hear they are pretty good at catching tree limbs however;)

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    If you guys would throw them in the trees that are UNDER water they may work better.;) :p LOL

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I perfer Tree fishing w/ my Cajuin Line & King Kat Pro rods, I can bring in a 40 foot Maple tree w/ out much problem. ;)

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :cool: I HEARD..;) That big flatties love them ...when they are alive...but a Big Ticket from the Game Warden is not worth it....Crappie is a game fish in OK. and Ar....so we shouldn't use them..besides the way the regulations change around here you spend as much time studying the regulation book as you do fishing:crying:

16. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I have never, ever caught a flathead on Crappie. I have, however caught a BullDaddy ever single time I have one the hook. I would have to say on the whole, that Crappie would have to be the best producing BullDaddy bait out there right now.:p

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    crappie are a game fish in ohio also, but if caught by legal means and they are of legal length you can use any game fish for bait..Heck you can kill and eat them so why not use them for bait.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I've caught lots of flats on crappie caught from the river. The larger ones are strong and lively, say over 10 inches. Pond caught ones seem listless in the river.

19. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have Catfishing with the Pros (Rockriver Flatheads), and theyshow crappie as a part of the flatheads diet. They are illegal fishing with them here in Illinios but it may be different in other states. But as long as a bait is alive and swimming the flathead is'nt bashful about eating it. I really dont see a cappie working better than a bluegill or sunfish.

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    In SC it is legal and in NC it is legal as long as they meet the size restrictions on certain lakes.

The crappie heads and fillets are great channel cat bait, but I don't know about flatheads since I am not a flathead guy. We have a ton of crappie in out lakes, so using a few for bait or saving the heads of the ones that get cornmeal overcoats is not a problem.