Crappie for cut bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by beertools, Apr 8, 2009.

1. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Has anyone used crappie for cut bait, for those big blue or flathead cats? I think I might try it this weekend.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Just check your regulations for your state to make sure it is legal. If it's legal the scraps after filleting out crappie are an excellent blue catfish bait, only problem it's illegal in a lot of states.

3. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    I looked at my bait laws, and I can use cut bait from crappie if it is scrap( crappie are good eats, and I would use only the scrap). What parts are the best?

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I shudder to think about such good eating fish being used as bait!:crazy: Then again...you wont catch me using shrimp for channels either...Im too greedy!:smile2:

5. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Like I said crappie are good eats but I will used the scraps to catch a big cat!

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Crappie, along with all other gamefish, are legal bait in Georgia as long as you catch them with a rod and reel. You cannot keep or use for bait gamefish that were caught with a throw net.

7. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Thanks for the info fishwestpoint!!!!!:smile2:

8. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have not used crappie for bait before but I know some fishermen that do they say it works very well. :smile2:

9. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    welcome to the BOC man and they will definately work, especially fresh.

10. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    I always start the day fishing for crappie then I go for cats in the afternoon and night. I'm thinking about using some of those crappie as cut bait!

11. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Welcome to the BOC. We've used crappie before and had great luck then the next day they were hitting bream. Just depends on what they want that day. Weres Massey at? He uses whatever swims. Bass, catfish, bream, eels:smile2:

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Here in Kansas crappie is legal if caught legaly, and large enough. I have only used cut crappie twice, both times it worked, however, big ol shiny white crappie is irresistable for them ol flattys. IMHO crappie is OK to eat, but blugill is better, and we all use them for bait. You'll never catch me using walleye though:wink: