Crappie for Bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gordhawk, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Has anyone ever used small crappie either alive or cut for bait? I went out today to get some bluegills & had more luck getting small crappie than small bluegill. I brought them home & was thinking about trying them tomorrow. Anyone have an opinion on them,one way or the other? Your immediate reponse would be greatly appreciated.

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I'm not 100% sure but I think in texas their illegal to use for bait... I'd definately check the rules and regs first.

3. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I'm not sure it's legal, actually. I've been told that you can't use "game fish" for bait, and I think crappie fall into that catagory. Learned about this when someone informed me that I couldn't use bass for cutbait, myself.

4. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    yes it is illegal to use them and yes they make a damn good bait live or cut.i catch alot of crappie during the winter months and when i fillet them i cut out the guts and throw them in a ziplock to freeze.they are probably my favorite early springtime bait for cats.i have also caught some nice flathead on live.just be careful who is watchin when you bait up.it might be legal where you are to use them if they are of legal length limit and caught by rod and reel.might wanna check up on that just to be on the safe side or you can live life on the edge and play dumb if you are ever questioned:confused2: :big_smile:

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks a lot for the response's guy's. I never gave it a thought about the crappie being illegal. I'm going to check the Iowa DNR website & see if I can find any info on using them for bait. If I can't find info,I'll just throw them in the river because I'm not going to take a chance of them being illegal. The only way I will use them is if I can get proof positive that it's alright. It's not worth it to me to have to sit out there not knowing whether I'm legal or not. That's one of the reasons why I fish,so I can get away from everything & RELAX!!! Thanks again to everyone who responded so quickly.

6. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    used crappie guts and eggs for bait and had fair luck with them.

7. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    In NE it's legal to use cut crappie in any lake there's not a length limit on them.

They work!

8. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Bait:
    Something used to lure any wildlife resource. It is unlawful to use game fish or any part thereof as bait.

Game Fish (includes hybrids or subspecies of fish on this list):
    • Bass: Guadalupe, largemouth, • Marlin: blue, white • Snook
    smallmouth, spotted, • Pickerel • Spearfish, longbill
    striped, white, yellow • Red drum • Swordfish, broadbill
    • Catfish: blue, channel, flathead • Sailfish • Tarpon
    • Cobia • Sauger • Trout: brown, rainbow
    • Crappie: black, white • Seatrout, spotted • Wahoo
    • Mackerel: king, Spanish • Sharks • Walleye

Here's the confirmed answer for TEXAS. I copied this from the Texas Parks and Wildlife website at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

This should answer your question.

9. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    This is what I pulled from the Iowa DNR website. Looks like you can't even use carp as bait..

http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/regulations/bait.html

Bait

Do I Need a License to Catch Bait?

Yes, a fishing license is required if you take minnows or any other species of fish for your own individual use for bait.

What Equipment Can I Use to Catch My Bait?

You can use:
    • a minnow dip net - up to 4 feet in diameter
    • a cast net - up to 10 feet in diameter
    • a minnow seine - up to 20 feet in length with a mesh size of one-fourth-inch bar measure or larger
    Allowable Bait Species

Alive or dead bait can be used from the following species:
    • Minnows
      • chubs
      • shiners
      • suckers
      • dace
      • stonerollers
      • mud-minnow
      • redhorse
      • blunt-nose minnow
      • fathead minnow
    • green sunfish
    • orange-spotted sunfish
    • frogs
    • crayfish
    • salamanders
    • mussels
    Only dead bait can be used from the following species: gizzard shad.

Non-bait Species

The following species cannot be used for bait in any inland water of the state:
    • carp
    • quillback
    • gar
    • dogfish
    You can return fish of these species to the water from which they were taken.
    You cannot possess live gizzard shad at any lake. Any gizzard shad taken for bait purposes must be killed immediately.

10. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    crappie make good bait but they are not as hardy as other types of fish,meaning they dont last on a hook a long time, i have caught nice cats on both live and cut crappie and it is legal in my state ;)

11. AllenM

AllenM Guest

12. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, I've searched and searched through the table of contents for possible regulations regarding this matter in California and been unable to find anything related to restrictions on species, size, method of take, or anything else regarding the take and use of baitfish so far. I sent a feedback requesting that I be directed to the correct chapter and subdivision of the regs to obtain this information. I'll post if I get a response, and keep researching in the mean time. :crazy:

13. rango

rango New Member

State:
    south carolina
    crappie or crappie fillets are excellent bait for crappie. we use em a lot here in sc. i dont know what the calif rules are for using em, but if its allowed, then you cant go wrong for using crappie.

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I fish here in Iowa and I use Crappie all the time ! as long as they were cought with hook and line you may use them! This is how I do IT, I scale the fish first then I cut a filet off both sides and leave the Skin on. That way it makes it harder for the catfish to get it off the hook. I use a Kahli hook as thats my go to hook . Now you can fish the bait on the bottom or under a bobber I have my best luck fishing it on the bottom though. I hope this helps. J.D.Straka PS They really work Well. Now if your Drifting I don't use the heads as they have a large mouth and they tend to pick up alot mud and thash off the bottom. but Heads work fine if your still fishing from the bank or ancored in the boat . Just hook them through the Eyes. Your Friend from Iowa. J.D.Straka :big_smile:

15. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks a lot for the input on this subject. I have not had a chance to get back on & let you know what I found out from the DNR website. The way I read the rules & regulations on bait,I decided not to use them & took them down & put them in the mighty Mississippi. I'm going to try to get hold of a conservation officer sometime this next week & see what he tells me about using them. I just didn't want to take a chance & get caught using something that was illegal! Again thanks to all of you for your input. If I can get hold of a conservation officer this coming week I'll let you know what I find out.

16. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I believe you could use carp on the river,just not in inland waters. That's the way I interrupted the rules & regulations. Thanks for your help in going to the Iowa DNR website & getting that info.

17. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ive always heard they were great bait but in missouri you cant use em.

18. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, still no response from the Ca. Fish and Game dept., and I've still not been able to find the section of the California regs that deals with this question, so if anyone else finds anything please post a link to where I can read it. Thanks.

19. AllenM

AllenM Guest

At last...!!!

Ok, in the Lower Feather River, Yuba River, San Joaquine River and Sacramento River, you can use crappie, or anything else you can catch on rod and reel with the exception of trout and salmon, as long as you catch it in the same area where you will be using it for bait.

Elsewhere in the North California District you cannot use any kind of Sunfish, Crappie, or Bluegill at all! That STINKS!! Looks like all the times I've been using green sunfish or bluegills to catfish at Black Butte Lake I've been breaking the law! I guess it's back to using liver or store bought cutbaits for me... :angry: