Crappie fishing

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 18, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shold i use a ultra light spin rod for crappie or a different kind of rod?:confused2:

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use an ultra light and a regular pole. It's fun to catch a slab on the ultra light but a longer pole is better for fishing brush I find.
    Bill

3. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    When I fish for Crappies, I use like a 33 with 6 or 8 lb test line. It seems to me that crappies dont hit as well if the line is visible so using a light line that is hard to see is best, I think. It takes a little practice casting as ya gotta "whip" it, but it doesn't take much to get a nack for it. I rig it with 3 crappie jigs about 2 or 3 inches apart and will use different color combo jigs til I find one combo that seems to be hittin the most. And as most crappy fishin people know, when the crappie hit, they hit and ya better be ready for some non-stop action...now thats what I call fishin! Love every minute of it...:big_smile_2:

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats how I do it too. I like at least a 11' pole and very fine line, #8 baitholders and whamo...fish on!:cool2:

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I use all ultra lite rods and reels for crappie ( make them feel huge)! I love the rod doubling over and the drag screaming!

6. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm using a 10ft 5/6 weight fly rod & micro spinning reel with 4lb spider line (mono). It works pretty well-I landed a 15lb flatty on it over the summer.

7. Bait Eater

Bait Eater New Member

State:
    southwest missouri
    I use a 9ft #6 flyrod with a spinning reel with 6 or 8lb line 90% of the time

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    UNcle Bucks Crappie pole fished in brush:lol:

9. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I use a 11 ft crappie rod, spinning reel with 6 lb line. Depending what part of the lake I fish, I use a slip cork rig.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use a 7-7 1/2' light to ultralight spinning rod, ultralight reel and 4lb line. I like to find fish by trolling small kigara style jigs past brush piles. Then I'll either drift fish the pile if the fish aren't shy, or mark three or four piles holding fish and troll past them in sequence. Can't really stack up on them like this. This technique works really well when the fish are spooky and won't hit when being cast to.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I use a 12' crappie pole. It's a little to long, when you are fishin under boat houses, but I get by with it. It also doubles as my blue gill pole. with 6lb line it's a blast.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree with what everybody has posted. But we mainly fish heavy heavy cover. We use 10-11 foot poles and slip floats. We use a little heavier line than you guys, 8-10pound test because with much less you spend your whole time rerigging from the snags. But we fish the Ohio river and water clarity isn't the best which might be why we get away with it.