Crappie fishing rods

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by YeeHaw, Jun 1, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    What kind of setups do ya'll use for crappie and other small fish? I just use my Daina Mini Cast.

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    ultra lite I broke my other 2 crappie poles.:angry:
    Bill

3. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    long poles (9 to 12 feet) for verticle jigging and slow trolling
    7 foot pole for casting jigs with or without a bobber
    4.5 foot ultra lite pole for shooting docks

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My favorite is a 9 ft, something, sorry can't remember the name of the rod. :big_smile:

I also have two 8 ft. Ugly Stick crappie rods.. the rods are ok but I don't like the way the reel attaches to the rod. They used a cheap slip ring connection that is not as good as the screw ring.

Reels are Abu Garcia 502.

I use a # 6 hook, small weight, slip bobber and minnow.

Caught a 7 lb Striper and a 4.5 lb large mouth bass this spring on the 9 ft rod. :tounge_out:

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ultra light or light rig with #6 hook and minnow or grub.

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    7 foot Avid St. Croix, also doubles as my dip bait rod for catfish. God bless.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

two 12 foot canes for bank fishing a good hole and two abu ultrlights for boat fishing.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I like my 7'6 UL spinning outfit. I normally bank fish and it lets me cast a little farther, plus it is very sensitive. Crappies don't fight much, so you don't need to big of an outfit. I use 6 pound test line btw, but have caught plenty of the papermouths on 4 pound test as well.

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    YeeHaw,
    I use 7' Wally Marshall crappie rods and really like them. I have them paired with Wally Marshall spinning reels. I have them spooled with Wally Marshall 4# camouflage line. This line is made in Germany & is the toughest 4# line I have ever seen. I've been fishing with my buddies using 6# line and they get snagged up and break their line. I can get hung up on the same snags & can actually move the snag without breaking the line!
    Glenn

10. fishboy

fishboy New Member

State:
    SC
  11. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Really, dang, I need to get some of that. I have seen it in the Bass Pro Shops catalog and it has alot of line on the spool.

12. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I usually use a 5' ultra light Ugly Stick, 4 pound test and a red and white tube jig with a maggot.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    This guy has some of the best rods. Richard Williams Signature Series Crappie Pole by Crappie Wizard Company.
    I have used his rods and also have some B&M ad will replace them with the crappie wizard rods as I break them.
    Pete

14. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I saw this Jim Duckworth (a guide in TN) Float n' Fly rod outfit made by B n'M. It was 7'11 and 2-8 pound test. If that ain't a good crappie rod, I dunno what is. Expensive though (to me for a crappie outfit), $60.

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    my wife and kids got me an Ugly Stik ultra lite combo for father's day. My oldest son used it the other night to catch some blue gill and we had a ball!

16. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kyle,
    I just checked to see how much line there is on that spool of 4# Wally Marshall camouflage line & there is 3,100 yd. That's 9,300 ft.! It's not that expensive either. I think I gave $6.99 for that spool. You better get some & try it,I don't think you'll regret it.

17. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I use the B&M 16.5 telescopic rods. A Johnson Century 100B with 30# PowerPro. The rig is 10 to 14# Vanish. 2 oz. sinker with with 6 jigs at 1 foot apart up the line. If depth is set at 16 foot, I have 15 to 10 foot covered.
    I was tipping the bottom jigs with minnows, I'll be trying metalfishmans idea soon. Slo trol with 6 rods on the front and partner with 6 out the back.

18. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, I'll get some next time I go to the BPS in Myrtle Beasch.

19. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I use a 2 zebco33 on 6ft rods but the rods are very lite:lol:

20. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    I talked with Rango thru PM's and set up my outfit and fishes practically the same way he does. It's a blast and I've been catching more fish than I know what to do with. The rods I use range from 4 and 1/2 ft. to 5 and 1/2 ft and all are ultralites. My favorite is a UL Cherrywood rod by Berkley and all my reels are UL spinning reels, the Avocot UL's from Walmart.