Crappie fishing question

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by DADJBW, Oct 10, 2007.

1. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    Ok, im trying to get into crappie fishing for the first time. Can you guys tell me the propper way to fish for them? boat and land fishing. Such as what bait and lure to use and how to fish them. thanks for the read guys!

2. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    There are many different ways to fish for them. My favorite way to fish for them is using a crappie jig, but that takes a lot of practice. The way most people fish for them is to use a crappie rig and minnows. A crappie rig is basically a weight on the bottom, 1 hook about 8 inches up, and another hook about 8 inches above that one. Using 2 hooks at different depths helps with the catching. Hope this helps a little. :smile2:

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I'm far from expert and knew at it myself, but everyone tells me to fish any area in the creeks thats has good cover like leaning trees and under water stumps. As far as rigs, I just use minnows with crappie nibbles. Went one time so far and had some success. Hope this helps you out. rspd507

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use a very simple method of useing a slip bobber (so you can adjust your water depth quicker according to where the fish are) with a hook with a split shot weight normally about 1-3 inches above it. then i just use minnows. normally medium sized. then i find me a nice piece of cover, like a brush pile or a fallen tree and fish in and around that tree. you have to just fish around for a while to find what depth the crappie are at and where they are at. crappie will go up tio hit a bait however its rare for them to go down and hit one. i dont know why but they do it. I went out sunday morning and my father and i caught 37 nice keepers. but it took us a little bit to find their depth. but once we did, the fun was on. so best of luck to ya

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    If possible, its very easy to learn how to catch them in farm ponds, then go from there! I mainly use 1/16 oz. jigs with curly-tail grubs (usually with either white or red somewhere on it) and find the "counting" method to know where the jig is in the water column ( falls approx. 1 foot/second with 1/16oz) then steadily reel in until they hit it.

6. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I crappie fish a lot and I do my best when using a 1/16th oz. jig-head with a 2in. chartreuse grub. Use light tackle with a long spinning rod for longer casts. Just cast out over some stucture (weeds, stumps, points, drop-offs ect.) and real in slowly. It's a sure thing.

-Eric

P.S. Crappy can be finnicky sometimes so it never hurts to bring sevaral different colors such as chartreuse, pink, silver, and white.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Growing up I used to fish for crappie all the time in Ohio. Minnows and small jigs were always the bait choice. The biggest thing that I remember was not to set the hook hard like a bass or catfish because crappie have soft lips and you'll tear the mouth out most of the time. I used to find them all the time around bridge pillars and that sort of structure. I hope this helps. Happy fishing!:wink:

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I am a bit different from some. I use a .32 jig with a red and white tube filled with crappie nibbles.( I have not used minnows for a long time) The reason I use such a small jig is it sinks real slow. Alot of times the crappies will hit it on the way down. Once the jig has hit the bottom I crank it in slowly. If they are 6' down I count 1 2 3 4 5 6. I found that works out to be about 10" per number. I fish strutures and under piers trying to toss the jig into the shade under the pier.
    my 2 cents.
    Bill

9. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    If you want to save some jigs, Take your lighter and heat the wire hook at the bend. When you get hung on a stump the hook is easy to bend and will come loose.

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'll throw my 2 cents in as far as technique goes...........I'm a straight up and down fishermen, use jigs from 1/32 to 1/4 in cover preferably on structure(brushpile on a channel break).

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sent you a rep with info.

12. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Panfish assasin, Bagley jigs. Fish them vertically around dock's, Tree's, Rocky bank's fish it under a slip rig. Try diffrent depth's. A CRAPPIE day of fishing is better than a CRAPPIE day of work. GOOD LUCK!