Crappie fishing on Truman

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by opposum, Jul 21, 2008.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Has anyone been going crappie fishing on Truman Lately? What are the fish doing? I thought I might try some night fishing and was wandering what kind of light works best. Thanks in advance for info.

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    We spent all last week at Truman, the catfishing sucked :confused2: but the crappie fisherman said they were committing suicide. The fish were in the flooded willows in about 10 feet of water, not deep at all. Everyone was catching fish do ing what they all did best but the jig color was chartruse on chartruse and of course the minnow guys are minnow guys and they were 15 ft. down in the trees of the bluffs.

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info. I may give it a try the next couple of days.

4. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A friend of mine who lives down there says they're catching nice crappie in the 12 inch variety every morning on the weir in front of the dam. Apparently morning is the time to fish there. I didn't crappie fish so I can't say if its good or not. Chris

5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris, thanks for the info. I may try a little crappie fishing and then give drifting a try, specially after the report you gave. Glad you had a good vacation. Never seems to last long enough though.

6. angiereid21

angiereid21 New Member

State:
    Excelsior Sp MO
    Fished windsor crossing from 530 til 12 and cought about 35 fish and only 9 were keepers. We could not find very many big fish. We started fishing in 20 feet of water with little luck. we went shallow and started doing better. had the best luck between 8 and 15 feet.

7. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the update. I keep saying I'm going to give the crappie a try, but it's too hard to try for those little fish when you've switched to catfish.