Crappie Dream Vacation

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Mickey, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you had the opportunity to take a Crappie Dream Vacation, what lakes would you choose? Would you choose for size or quantity?

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Mickey, my dream crappie vacation would be to find a small lake i fished in OHIO when i was a kid and fish it again. it is a small lake that doesn't allow gas engines and you have to apply to fish. i cant remember the name of it, however i do remember that we had to apply to fish it on the 3 friday of every month to fish the following month. when you got approved you were given a day to fish and that was the only day you could fish. they also had a limited number of boats allowed to fish there. we used tube jigs and we caught well over 50 crappie a piece and we kept a kooler full of 10-12+ inchers allong with blue gills in the same size range. it was none stop all day and the fish we decent sized. we caught some smaller, but we didnt bother with anything that wasn't a decent size. it was a rare day of fishing, but a blast. if i remember correctly, i think you had to have an OH resident with you also.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Kentucky, Clearwater, Wappapello.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wouldn't mind fishing Kentucky, but I guess I am spoiled. I get to fish sand and gravel strip pits here in Ohio that are not public places often. These places can grow some very nice fish over time! rollo

6. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never seen a better crapppie lake than Stonewall Jackson State Park here in WV. Last time up there we caught 50 per hour for each of 6 people in the boat. Never kept anything under 10". Only fished 3 to 4 hours a day for 10 days. Had a total blast. Group of guys from Ohio camped beside us and did the same thing we did for Bluegill. This is one fish HEAVEN for about anything you want to go after. The lake was built and ALL TIMBER and COVER was left standing when the lake was filled. Just wished I lived a lot closer to it.

7. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Jeremy,,, That sounds like Lake Kathern, not far from Jackson ohio. You are riight it is a very good lake to fish. Has some giant bass, Crappie and Bluegills. ,,, And it is only a few miles from my home :smile2:

8. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I'm staying right here and fish Buggs Island/Kerr lake in Va. 100 crappie days in the spring are nothin and a 3lb crappies are common. Crappie USA has a big tournament here every year. Those pros just get in my way got to fill the freezer soI can go back to cattin. LOL

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The White River Refuge in south Ark. has hundreds of oxbow lake and man made pits alone the levy that is aw sum in the spring. We use to camp along the levy and fish the pits when it was closed. Limit is 50/day. Peckerwood lake north of Stuttgart is also a great lake, fed off Lagru bayou.
    They catch some crappie in the deep clear water lakes here but not like south ark. limit here is 15 with a 10" min.

10. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    id like to go to canada or alaska and try some get flown in on a small plane and stay in the mountains and have a guide that knew the place well and jump from lake to lake. that would be awesome to me. i know some guys that do that to elk hunt in alaska they stay gone for bout two weeks. id love to do that.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd say Reelsfoot (TN) would get my vote for both size and quantity. I really couldn't imagine crappie fishing could get much better than there.
    Also, aside from my recent experience with Turtle Creek Reservoir here in Indiana which is the best Channel cat fishery I've even seen for quantity bar none... Reelsfoot lake is also an EXCELLENT channel cat fishery for both quantity and size.
    Downside to reelsfoot are the snakes.... lots n lots n lots of snakes. lol