Crappie Crank baits

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by kat buster, Jun 27, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    :0a21:
    What is every bodys favorite crank bait for crappie. Style, color, make, etc.

2. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    I like the 200 and 300 series bandits in shad colors and chrome.

3. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
  4. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Don't know if you are talking about casting or trolling. A little tip I learned about casting for them is to use a stop and go retrieve, they seem to hit just as you start it back up. I have spent the last 3 or 4 weeks trying to learn what I can about crankbait trolling for crappie, still have way too much to learn so bear that in mind. We have not had any rain in a long time so Okatibbee is very clear so what I have learn is based on that fact. I don't have any luck when it is a bluebird day with no wind, just can't get a crankbait bite, have to go to jigpoling. I use 200 and 300 series Bandits and have had my best luck with Parrot color with pearl/blue back next. Also chartruse bodies with most any color backs. I run 4 rods using my TM to run between 1.2 and 1.8 mph on my GPS. Outside poles have 200 series on them and inside rods have 300 series on shorter lines to try to cut down on tangles. Yesterday morning was windy, no clouds and I caught 20 crappie, 5 channel cats and 1 bass most on the Parrot and pearl/blue back. Like I said I am in the learning stage, alot of good info at crappie.com. The MS board has been talking about crankbait trolling a good bit.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like these and bubblegum

6. adamf

adamf New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i prefer bandit 200 and 300 sreies in plum and very bright colors almost always limit out on these colors

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I havent used a bandit before. I just use rapalas. the 2" in clown or perch has caught me crappies when Im trolling to locate them. then I switch to minnows and clean house.

8. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Gezz, I did not know they had crank baits for crappie!
    Gonna have to give that a try.

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    they have a ton of small cranks out on the market today. Wally Marshall has a new model of crankbait made especially for papermouths at Bass Pro. I don't troll, I just blind cast till I find the honey hole.

10. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    I went back out this morning and caught 18 crappie, no other kind today, on Bandits. The hot colors were Parrot and all white. Did get a couple of the pearl/blueback. When the wind quit about 9:30 so did the fish. I am using 10 lb line on the 300's and 8 lb on the 200's. Most came on the 300's, guess the bigger bill gives it the kind of wiggle they like best. As I said for me, no wind no fish, fishing in 12 to 15 feet of water. Any of you guys that have been crankbait trolling for some time got any wisdom to pass on? This is a pix of Tuesdays fish. Don't know if it should be in the fishing reports or not.

[​IMG]

11. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow, that is a nice set of fish.

12. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hi i have not really fished with crank bait but i can tell you my favorite it would be a rooster tail but i have caught lots of crappie with minners:tounge_out: