Crappie Combo?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JPritch, May 18, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The lake I fish is loaded with crappie. Thought I might mix it up some this summer and go for crappie along with of course cats!

Just wondering if anybody can recommend a quality crappie rod & reel combo? Price is not a concern. I want something that works well and will last. I see alot of them in the Catfish Connection catalog, but no idea where to start.

Is a baitcast or spincast or zebco-type the best? I am partial to baitcasters, but are they good for crappie?

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to use the spinning reels for crappie. I have several on different lengths rods from 6'6" to 5' all light to ultra light. Line weights vary from 6#, 4# and 2# test. Crappie have a very tender mouth and can't be "horsed" in like bass. And you have to keep those little hooks sharp.

If your just dropping minnows or jigs out of the boat then the rod and reel combo doesn't mean that much, but if your trying to cast small jigs then you have to have something light and flexible.

Those crappie and some of the best eating fish you can get.

Good luck.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have found that a cheap fly rod with a spinning or trigger spin reel is hard to beat for Crappie,pan fish and small fish of all kinds.Not only does it work well with small baits of all kinds,it is fun to catch fish on it.This rig seems to be as close to perfection as I have found for the tender mouths of Crappie in my 50+ years of fishing for them.From Wally Marshal to Zebco,the long slender Crappie rods are mainly a imitation of a long,slender,flexible fly rod.Don;t get me wrong.I have the Zebco and 3 different (12,14,& 16 Wally Marshal rods from BP along with ten assorted 10-20 ft.collapsible poles with reel seats.All are good for certain times and places,but the Flyrod and spinning reel rigs are the "go every time" rigs for freshwater fishing.They are also great for catching bait.Try a cheap 5/6 weight flyrod with reels for 4 to 12 lb.line.If you like it,you can also go up to heavier flyrods and reels for other fish.I also had a ball from the Trout streams to the Okefenokee Swamp with these rigs and 1/32 spinner baits.The major disadvantage is that even large Bass seem to love some of these tiny lures,but even Bass give a good fight on this rig and they do make good live and cut bait for Catfish.I am not anti Bass.It is just that Bass are way,way down on my eating list.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend a spinning reel for crappie fishing. spool with 4 to 6# test line mounted on a UL or L Rod.

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey bro there are a few ways to go , for crappie i use UL to M depending on how or where im fishing , tickling timber i use an inexpensive 10'6" Med. action shakespeare rod with a zebco 33 under spin reel with 8lb. mono (specifficaly seagaure flouro carbon pro is my choice for all panfish) for small cranks again inexpensine eagle claw yellow spinning rod ul to light (thse rods offer the soft action needed to fish cranks as not to snatch or rip the crank away from those paper thin mouths) of course as lite a line that can be used . And the most important piece of equipment is the reel a good smooth quality drag is always in order as you know and has already been stated other fish do not desriminate against small lures .

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I seen a few really nice long crappie rods in Cabellas for like 16-30 dollars! I might grab a few too. I'll have to look to give you all the info on em but for those prices why not?..Right? Good luck with whatever you decide on.
    -Later :cool2: