Crappie biting very slow today!!!

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by rspd507, Oct 17, 2007.

1. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I went out this morning after I got off work, launched at about 7:30 and caught two keepers right off the bat. After that it was very few and far between, one here, one there and so on. Could'nt ever seem to find several at one spot. Fished until about 1:30 and managed to catch about 10 decent eatin size. Could'nt keep the skip jacks off my dang minnows, but hey, I'll use them for my next catfishing trip. Talked to several other guys who were out that was having about the same luck as I did. Anyone else experiencing this pattern with the crappie? Thanks rspd507

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Ross, don't want to get off the subject, was wondering if you think goldfish will work? I hear about people using minnows but I would not know where to get minnows.

Jaime

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jaime,
    Thats a real good question, I dont know for sure but ive heard that crappie will hit on small shad. So I would think they would hit a small golfish, but thats a question for someone with alot more experience than me at crappie fishing. Thanks for the idea.. rspd507

4. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Oh, they'll hit on goldfish...yes they will. BUT, watch your local laws. Using goldfish most of the time would be introducing non-indiginous species into local waters and is illegal.

Minnows work good and sometimes you can even find ruby reds, which are minnows with a reddish tint to them. Check the baitshops and see if you can find some.

If no minners, no shad or no ruby reds, JIGS are good.

Good luck fellas.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Oh yes they will hit on gold fish but like Laura said check you state law's...Out here in cali you get got using gold fish for bait...Brother you are in for some huge fine's let alone all your gear will be talking from you right there and then lol And you WON'T be getting it back ...Be safe and check your state law's:wink:

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Hi Jamie...If your looking for minnow's most all bait shop's have them out here check around bro i'll bet there is just right down the street from you lol .

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I to have been getting one here one there. I am using my red and white tube with 1/32 jig and skipping under piers. I think the water is still to warm for them to group up.
    Bill

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for the info Laura and James. Well there goes that Idea.
    James, real good suggestion. I usually go to big chain tackle shops like Turners Outdoorsman and Save-on Tackle. I remeber seeing a small bait shop called Raimbowbait and tackle.
    Bill, do you tip your jigs with bait?

Jaime

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jaime,
    As I said, Im about the most inexperienced crappie fisherman here but i know alot of guys who use jigs, and they do tip the jigs with minnows. This seems and must work beacuse most here do it. Also, I know you said that you cannot find minnows in your area. Sorry about that, I really have no advice about that one. rspd507

10. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    James and Laura,
    Here in Indiana we are aloud to use Gold fish as catfish bait, so I would assume we could use them for crappie also. But that is a good question, I'll have to ask a CO the next time I see one at the office. Again, thanks for all your advice. rspd507

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been using crappie nibbles inside the tube. The "bait pump" is good at getting the stuff inside.
    Bill

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Bite has been fairly decent around here past week or 10 days, (finally) the cooler weather has help a lot, we been hitting them as usual on small jigs, we also troll quite a bit for them, don't ever over look that option, I have seen days when everyone is beating the brush and banks to death and we are just ripping them all day while trolling small jigs and crank-baits out in front of the brush and lay downs and main Chanel drop offs and creek mouths. Time to get that stock up in the freezer yall, good fishing and stay safe!