Crappie biting at Sessions

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by DLB-in-GR, May 19, 2008.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I haven't gotten any catfish this year, but I've been nailing crappie and bluegill from the shore at Sessions Lake. The crappie are spawning, taking minnows, and the bluegills look to be getting ready, they are shallow, hitting garden worms. I've limited out 5 times in the last 2 weeks (each time I've gone).

Good fishing to you.

2. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Have'nt tried crappie fishing yet. I do know that the bite has died down out @ the holloway dam for them. I've been putting the smackdown on some nice channels even though the rain seems to have a grudge against me so far this year! LOL! Good luck to you bro......

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I didn't do so well for crappie today, it looks like their spawning is about over. I had the minnows and everything, but couldn't locate a school. I did however hammer the 'gills on waxworms, they are moving in for spawning. When the panfishing action cools down from the bank I will turn my attention to the channel cats in Sessions Lake. I am planning to get one of those Zebco Hawg Seeker combos with the alarm so I can set a rod for cats while I am preoccupied with the 'gills, then I won't miss the bite. I am missing some good catting because I can't pay attention to both rods that way. Later in the summer both of my rods will be baited for cats and I will be paying attention to them, so missing a strike won't be such an issue.

4. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The panfish spawning seems to be over now at Sessions, and I might say that I got a lot of them, enough of those for the freezer. So I turn my attention to the catfish in the lake, and found that those are biting too. I fish for eaters, 15"-24", and have found them to be plentiful. Tues evening was the lone bummer, the days of storms and the cold front must have moved the fish from my hole because the bite was very slow and I didn't bring any home. Every other time I have been out I have gotten at least something, including four 21 inchers this year (not bad for stink bait), they make the drag sing on a light setup. Wed. evening I brought a buddy, who was more interested in casting lures than catching cats, and I was able to get the first picture of catching in action. The second picture is from last evening, a nice catch and good eating.

Attached Files:

5. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Nice catch Doug, Hey I'm probably goin to sessions late afternoon after I drop my girls off at my parents campsite in Ionia.Their down the road from there. I tried Sessions last year but water was still really cold yet so hoping to see how it is once it the water warms up. Maybe I'll see ya there.

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I was there tonight, the bite was slow. I got a 2.8 lb on a live bluegill, but bait was hard to catch where I was fishing, so I switched both rods to Sonny's and caught my personal best on stinkbait, a 5.6 lb. Did that drag ever sing! That is much larger than what I usually catch on Sonny's.

I have heard that near the spillway is a good spot for catfish, along the road, but its all rocks there and almost impossible to hammer in a rod holder, plus there is no wind break there, so I have never tried it. I have caught very many crappie there though. I have caught cats at "The Point" picnic area, but by far the best luck I've had is at the "Beechwood" picnic area. There aren't a lot of places to fish at Beechwood though, without hiking quite a distance, so on a weekend you have to be early to get a spot.

Here is me with tonight's catch.

Attached Files:

7. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I went for a long hike and found a new honey hole at the lake. Its a steep drop off to a deep hole with a downed tree in it, I just knew when I saw it that it would be holding the cats. I went this morning and pulled out 5 (15"-21") in about a half hour using Sonny's and a dip worm. That bait didn't set for 5 minutes without another fish biting. There are some great spots on that lake if you have a boat, unfortunately I don't, but I make due with the shore spots I find. I think this gold mine is going to pay out regularly for me.