Crappie Bite On LOZ

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Itch2Scratch, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Just thought I would let everyone know that one of my neighbors went out this weekend and absolutely slayed the slabs. Limited out both days and had some REALLY big ones...they fished docks down around the 50-55MM...good luck out there!..:)

2. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Nothing better then slab Crappies on ultra light tackle. One of the best parts of early spring....Crappie spawn.

SudDawg

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Someone who knows what he's doing can always catch a limit of crappie.

The rest of us, unfortunately, seldom come close.

I've been out specifically fishing for crappie about 6 times this year, doing everything as close to the "right" way as I know how based on what the guides are telling me and so far, I've landed exactly 1 tiny little fish.

Heading back out to Truman later this week and hopefully will do better, but still operating with only about half a clue...

I swear this was a lot easier when I was a kid and all we did was grab some minnows, dangle them next to a submerged tree a catch all the big fish we could handle...

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Marty I don't know if it will help but when I looked at their rods they had chartruse and black...floresent orange and chartruse jigs on...they may have even been tipping their jigs with minnows...good luck out there buddy.

5. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    I know what you mean, Mr T. Sometimes i think i set a new record for STUPID!
    I took a handicap neighbor out yesterday to a small conservation pond. I have a 10' jonboat with a portable trolling motor. Pretty crowded with 2 guys, tackle boxes, minnow bucket, sm cooler, motor. battery & paddle. Got to the flooded timber & immediately got hung up & broke off hook. By the time i tied on a new one & baited up, the wind had blown us back out to the center of the lake. Before long the battery was dead. (first time out this year; need a new one before i take out the bigger boat).
    A couple more hang ups. Friend cast his line over a limb. I didn't take the portable fishfinder cause i couldn't handle it with all the other gear & friend can't hardly see. Never did find the fish depth. What a circus.

Talked to two other single fishermen who were catching lots of small bass (8"-10") one with a purple work & one with a dark jig.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Been using chartreuse/black jigs for the last 3 trips or so, per the fishing reports I've read. Nothing. Work them deep, work them shallow, under a bobber, fast retrieve, slow retrieve. Nothing. Except a lot of hangups and broken line. Minnows haven't been available easily until just recently so will try them out next time on the water.

What *really* frustrates me though is that I've got one or two days a week that I can fish -- Saturday and Sunday -- and that's it. So I have to go when I *can* go, not when I'd *like* to go.

But it seems that the weather has just been against me all year; beautiful during the week, then a storm or other front comes through on Thursday or Friday and ruins the weekend. Or it's warm all week then cold on the weekend. Or nice calm winds all weekend and howling like a banshee on Saturday.

Suppose I'd feel worse if the other fishermen I see out at the same time were filling their boats and I wasn't - but I haven't seen *anybody* catch any fish to speak of. Yet everybody I talk to knows "a guy who caught his limit yesterday in an hour... "

Ugh.

7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty a trick I always use is to tip the jig with a minnow. I just hook him right thru his bottom jaw and out the top of his head. Early in the year it is deadly on crappie. Before I was a catman and after I was a Bassman I spent quite a few years chasing them specks. Spider rigs you name it I've done it. Of course if you ever want some humility put into your crappie fishing show up at one of the big tourney weigh ins on Truman. Some guys are just incredible at it!

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    LOL...hang in there Marty..your day is coming..:)...heck I always have better luck using a slip bobber and minnows. But those jigs do work as they showed me this weekend. I just seem to put more time in catting and catching bait than I do Crappie fishin.:p I have to agree with Ron on tipping those jigs with minnows.:)

9. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Marty - put that black/chartruese jig (1/16, 3/32, max 1/8 in wind) 16 inches under the smallest bobber that will float the jig and minnow. Put the minnow on the hook like stated earlier (behind the jig, run hook up from under minnow's chin and out a nostril). Gently pitch or flip the rig next to the bank in feeder creeks or longer coves, preferably next to or over sticks, trees, etc. in about two feet of water (Yes 2 feet). Work your way back into the creek starting near the mouth on one side. When you get into fish, make note of how far back in the creek/cove you are from the main lake. Fish all the way into the back until the water is no longer deep enough to float your bobber upright. The number of hits should diminish dramatically when you get to water less than 2 feet deep in general, so go to the other side and fish your way out. You'll probably stop picking up fish near the same location as the point where you found fish on the opposite side. Use this information in the next creek or cove. I found out Sunday that without the minnow attached to the jig, the crappie were hard to catch. Sometimes we would get bit 3 or 4 times by a fish before it took the jig in far enough to get a hook in it's lip.

If the crappie start grabbing the minnow only by it's tail, take the jig body off, and run the hook down the minnow's throat as far as you can. Then turn the hook upwards through the fish's body (back) and leave the hook exposed. This will normally get the short strikers. Good luck!

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I always use black and chartruese or red and chartruese roadrunner ,doubled the amount i use to catch.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for all the advice -- good information I'm sure I can put to use.

But as has been the case all year, the weather is still against me.

Going to be nice and warm on Thursday afternoon which is great. But the wind is supposed to be 15 to 25 with gusts to 35. Past experience says not to bother when it's like that, as it'll just lead to a frustrating time on the water. Today is perfect, but I can't fish today.

And of course, by the time I can get on the water again (another 10 days or so), I expect the spawn will be pretty much done.

Woe is me. Back to catfish, I guess.:mad:

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Decided to blow off work and head out this afternoon anyway. So look out crappie, I'm comin' to slay ya! Going to put in at Bucksaw and go upstream a ways. Minnows, jigs, roadrunner heads, I'm ready.

Hope nobody here notices that I'm gone - though I don't really care if they do. My job is being sent to Beijing, China and I'm supposed to be training my replacements when and if they actually get hired, then they'll cut me loose once I've been drained of useful information. So my "I don't care" factor is way up there. Couple that with a beautiful day, and I'm outta here... :rolleyes:

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    LOL...YOU GO MARTY!...sorry to hear about your job though Bud...seems to be the trend these days.:sad:

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Had a reasonably good day fishing - most would call it a "slow" day but given my crappie fishing history, it's "good" in my book. Ended up with 8 keepers between my dad and myself. Used jigs tipped with minnows below a slip bobber. Worked very well, I must say. Interestingly, 7 of 8 were males. I'll bet that means something, but I don't know what -- I'd guess it means either the spawn hasn't really started or it's almost over.

Water temp on the main lake was 65 or so; I saw 72 in the back of the cove.

Also saw a big gobbler strutting for several hens on the mud flat at the back of the cove -- we weren't more than 50 yards away and they obviously had more important things on their mind than worrying about us.

I've never seen so many trailers at the boat ramp -- not a parking space to be found anywhere at Bucksaw, so we parked on the grass. Boats everywhere - must have been 8 or 10 back in the cove we spent most of our time in. Nobody was raking them in hand over fist, but everybody was catching one now and then.

Caught 4 largemouth bass as well, including one that I got on a Zara Spook just before we left - love that topwater action...

Anyway, the crappie drought is over and I've got a nice bowl full of fillets soaking in the fridge. Thanks again to all who've given advice here -- didn't mean to hijack the thread, but hopefully everybody learned a little bit.

15. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Marty - All those males up there means the spawn hasn't happened yet. When you get the bloated females up with them, then you know spawns on. Don't let wind intimidate you. Learn to use it to your favor. Fewer boats will be out. Wind blows baitfish up against the bank, and triggers feeding activity. And you can use a little heavier jig under a bigger slip bobber, and let the waves supply the action to your minnow. Amazingly effective.

Bucksaw is a good place to launch when the day will be windy. Lots of hills around to provide wind breaks, and no big open areas to get that wind blown "Surf's Up" situation. Congrats on the ones you got. Make time to get back out there in the next week or so, and things should be a poppin.' The spawn will start up in the headwaters first, then move down the lake toward the dam. Probably be a good 2 week period with them spawning somewhere on Truman.

16. troup

troup New Member

State:
    Longwood, FL
    been there done that. It sucks. Our replacements were Tata Consulting India employess, holders of Congressional H-1b and L-1 "guestworker" visas. Visas Congress gave corporations, in return for corporate donations. They claim, these are for jobs "we can't find Americans to do."

Mgmt held out a carrot for the Americans, stay on and train your replacements then we'll give you this severance for you when you leave. Contacting our Senators/US Rep was worthless. The US Rep spoke to Siemens; within weeks he was cashing campaign checks from them. ...Obvious who he works for; his corporate donors.

Lucky for me I landed another job. The majority of my ex-coworkers weren't so lucky.

Being that you're in Kansas/MO, are you working at Hallmark Cards? My Dad was in sales with them for 30+ years. Anyway, here is a story about a Hallmark employee. http://www.fantasy3d.com/blog/outsourcing.shtml

Mike
    http://www.OutsourceCongress.org/
    WKMG CBS Orlando - "Where did the Jobs Go?"
    CIO Magazine
    Outsourcing/Insourcing(H-1b/L-1 visas) Videos

17. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Will be heading down today ,fishing between the old oar house and the dam ,going to cover as much water as we can ,If your out come by and say hi .will be in a bass tracker with uscats decals on windsheild and side of boat

18. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Just got back from LOZ yesterday. Went out twice for a few hours just fishing off of the dock and caught between 20-30 nice slabs both days on minnows so it turned out pretty good.

19. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    I've been doing pretty well crappie fishing on the upper LOZ..
    Been working the sandy banks down along the island (just past the first power lines down around the curve there).

I've caught several NICE slabs, big females, and the eggs are pretty mushy.. So the spawn is on or nearly over here. Up on Truman things are a bit slower. We're mainly catching dinks and a few keepers.

Went Jugging yesterday and caught several nice blues.. nothing over 10# but still fun. Having an impossible time getting shad so I've been using big shiners.

Good luck.