Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, if I put one of those cheap little crappie reels on a light action spinning rod, would it hold up? I know it would never hold up if it was for catfish but since their just crappie, would it hold up????

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I use the old green Johnson Century spincast reels mostly on all my rods. For my trolling rods they are for line storage since I never reel once the depth is set.
When Sportsman's Warehouse opened here they had a 5.5 or 6 ft rods with a Cardinal spinning reel for $6. Pretty good for an ultra lite rig.
My uncle bought one of those Mr, Crappie baitcasters. We tied our rods onto 4 wheelers for a 4 mile trip. When we got there his reel was missing parts.
PM sent

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have two reels I set up with 4# line thinking crappie. Both are low profile reels. Not crazy about low profile but they seem to work well. Can cast 1/16oz jig about 30' and that's about all I need. One rod is a med action 6' Shakespeare Ugly stick, it's my favorite and the other a 7' Ocuma Kokanee rod rated for 2# line. One daiwa reel and one kastking, both inexpensive. As I said I'm not a low profile fan but these two on the light rods work pretty well. No idea why I did that, must have been bored that day. For UL fishing I prefer UL spinning rods and reels. Don't use spinning rods and reels if I think I'll get into say bass over a couple pounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts